Random Tech Question of the Day

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Random Tech Question of the Day

Post by [JiF]Sly Gambit »

See if anyone can inform me better than Google will when I search in a minute. :)

Basically I've heard things regarding upgrading to 64 bit Windows Vista as opposed to the 32 bit Windows Vista. I know that I'd have to upgrade my CPU (and likely my motherboard) but what hardware wouldn't I need to upgrade to go to 64 bit? My GPU seems like it doesn't care (8800 GTS 512). Would my physical memory be ok and run on both? I'm assuming my power won't care. SATA drives? Other periphials?

Assuming all things are equal is the benefit of going to a 64bit OS significant enough for gaming to go to? If it's just a matter of upping my CPU and motherboard then I may just include that when I upgrade to Vista and go 64 bit instead of 32 bit. If it's doing even more and I'm basically building a whole new rig then I'll pass and just go with the 32 bit version and upgrade my CPU and mobo whenever I feel like blowing money no an unneccessary upgrade. :)
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: Random Tech Question of the Day

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

What CPU are you running now? It may already be able to handle 64 bit OS. Are there 64 bit drivers available for the components you already have and would like to continue using?
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF][AARP]Jimbo
Site Admin

Post by [JiF][AARP]Jimbo »

the only advantage I see with the 64 bit os is that it will use over the 3.something Gig limit of memory on 32 bit os. I have not seen a noticable difference betweent he 32 bit and 64 bit as far as preformance goes because most applications seem to be 32 bit anyway. Drivers are the biggest concern if your motherboard and other cards have drivers you should be ok if not it just won't work. Just my 2 cents.
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

[JiF]KellysHero wrote:What CPU are you running now? It may already be able to handle 64 bit OS. Are there 64 bit drivers available for the components you already have and would like to continue using?
It does say 64 all over it so maybe I've already got a 64bit CPU. :) Then again it might be referencing the L1 64kb cache.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Single-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6819103539

Model
Brand AMD
Processors Type Desktop
Series Athlon 64
Model ADA3700BNBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
Tech Spec
Core San Diego
Multi-Core Single-Core
Name Athlon 64 3700+
Operating Frequency 2.2GHz
Hyper Transports 2000MHz
L1 Cache 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache 1MB
Manufacturing Tech 90 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support No
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35/1.4V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

[JiF]SilentJimbo wrote:the only advantage I see with the 64 bit os is that it will use over the 3.something Gig limit of memory on 32 bit os
That's one of the reasons I want to switch as I have 4 gig of memory sitting there and my OS is only letting me use 3.

I'm not too concerned with drivers although I'll double check to make certain everything is kosher.
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Hah! Talk about answering a question without knowing it:

64 bit Support Yes

So now I should just verify nothing else has issues with a 64 bit OS and then buy the version of Vista that runs best.