Should they be allowed to fly?

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

Should they be allowed to fly?

Post by [JiF]War Trophy »

I've seen, on a few occasions, on other servers, people saying things like: "hey noob - don't fly if you can't fly!"
(to the Jif servers' credit, I've never seen anyone say anything like this)
I don't know about you, but it seems to me these people are taking the game a little too seriously. It doesn't matter how good you are at any aspect of the game, anyone in the game has the right to choose any weapon that's at hand. It's about having some fun and honing your skills. The more you fly, the better you'll become. We all had to get into that plane at some point and pit ourselves against experienced enemy pilots.
So I say to the new guys - if you want to fly, then fly! Don't worry about the idiots who are just sore 'cos you got to the plane first.
Besides, while an enemy pilot or AA gunner is distracted by a new pilot who is all over the sky, it gives me a better chance to cap a flag while in my tank! :lol:
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Re: Should they be allowed to fly?

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

I'm a dedicated bailer so that suits me fine! But I can see how bailing would frustrate the ace whoose plane I have 'misappropriated'

I personally can't fly well at all and have never seen any gripes on Jif about planes, but got TKed for one once by a non-regular Ace who I spent most of the match trying to shoot down with AA. On dedicated flying maps I am content to be a gunner / AA unless there is a surplus of planes then my bailing tendancies take over.

I guess there is a line between wanton vehicle waste and using (or at least trying) to use the Vehicle to achieve an objective. I hope that fellow players think that bailing is in the latter category.
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

War Trophy

You are spot on with your comments. This server is the Jif server Just in Fun. We are here because we are a bunch of gamers who like to have a bit of fun playing a game together.
I am one of those who is trying to improve their flying by keep trying, I prefer a good tank, but it adds a new dimension to your game play instead of trundling round all the time. If you like playing online it's the only way to hone your skill.
hUTCHIE baling can be good. Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, planes can do that, quickest way to get to another flag & the plane will spawn again after a bit.
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

I'm not as deadly as I should be in dogfights, but in bombing I have my moments. I think you're right that everyone has to climb onto the horse at some point. I try to fly some although it's not my strength in the hope that I'll improve as I go. The cool thing about the attitudes on JiF is that everyone here is much more patient than other servers. Now if someone's TKing like mad in a plane I have said "Start using your mini-map or find something with wheels!" But in all reality that just leads them to running down teammates in jeeps. lol. Some things are better left alone! :lol:
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

This server has been awesome for someone trying to learn not to crash (I won't call it flying yet :oops: )

On one night I ended up on the Coral Sea map and I jokingly said to all playing "All right, so who is going to teach me how to fly". Everyone had a chuckle at that (I think) and then Bison Burger (who was on the opposite team at the time) actually encouraged me to "Get up there and give it a shot."

So occassionally whenever I see an empty airfield with a plane sitting on it and no one waiting for it, I'll take it for a spin. I finally managed to shoot down my first plane last night, but I have still yet to master bombing runs.

But what can I say, I am a slow learner when it comes to stuff like that.

What I actually have a chuckle over is on El Alamein when there are 15 people plane camping and no one going for flags. But that usually happens when the weekend warriors come out.
I have decided to produce and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly".
That way everyone in the country can get wasted drinking Responsibly.
And all the other drinks makers will be advertising for me on their cans with the slogan "please drink Responsibly".
Probably will annoy the government as well.
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

I call it falling without blowing up
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Djsmg wrote:What I actually have a chuckle over is on El Alamein when there are 15 people plane camping and no one going for flags. But that usually happens when the weekend warriors come out.
I share your enthusiasm with that. I am usually rushing around trying to cap a flag & wondering where most others are!
They figure they're going to give you air cover.
Of course if they are British they will be forming a nice orderly queue for the planes!!! :D
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Some days i cane be a great help in a plane.
Then those days when i tk unintentionally on bombing runs and i have to bail out before i get kicked for -score. :shock:

The only frustrating part is the rear seat in the bombers can be used to cap flags but, most of the time they are empty.
Also when someone else gets in plane first,I try to get in rear seat and they leave me behind, even after request to pickup :lol:
[JiF]Toriq
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Toriq »

I can't fly for beans, but dang I enjoy trying and no one's going to tell me I can't be it a fighter ace or not! :D
Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sly Gambit »

I don't think you'll see people complaining about noobs flying on our server.

It is worth noting that there are some times when it's good to practive flying and some maps where it's not so good. I know I've been frustrated on Gazala or el Al when the other team has expert pilots up in the air and have managed to cap all the spawns and yet there are people who can't bomb anything or shoot anything flying around in circles above the cappable spawn points while everyone else is being strafed back at the uncappable. We are geared towards having fun while playing with teamwork and if you're having fun but causing your team to suffer it means you're taking away their fun. So it's important to find a nice balance.

For the most part though there are very few maps (and even fewer times) when people shouldn't be encouraged to fly IF a plane is available. Don't get stuck in the habit of spawning and waiting for a plane (or a tank for that matter) when there are other spawns available. I don't know how many times I've had a plane on a carrier and flown it for an extended amount of time only to finally die in a ball of flaming death only to spawn back on the carrier and see 3 or 4 guys sitting around having done nothing while I was flying (and usually not even bothering to defend the carrier with AA).

Its usually obvious at that point why my team isn't managing to do very well. :)
[JiF]LtComStarbuck
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtComStarbuck »

Douglas Adams wrote:"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
----As DJSMG reminds us.

I agree with Sly above ^ ...nobody here (at least no JiF member or regular) is going to give someone grief for flying (or driving a tank or ship or manning any weapon for that matter) with limited skill. This is a GAME after all and we all like to "PLAY."

That having said Sly is right-on with several points....if there is a skilled pilot next to the plane and it is a tight game....let him take it. And don't just spawn camp waiting for a plane (or any weapon system) ...that's just sad really. And one of my real cardinal pet peeves ...do NOT shoot up a friendly plane just because someone jumped in it before you do or god forbid TK for some vehicle. Fortunately we don't see that much on this server ...and we don't tolerate it either should an admin witness such a thing.

In the immortal words of
MORK from Ork wrote: "Fly and be free!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." --AEImage
[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

everyone sould do wath they want but please listen at the"requesting a pick up" message cause that pisses me of when the guy is 1 foot away and drives of.

one more thing "shooting a friend can happen" once i shoot a machine gunner out of his tank cause his name was like a bot namen somthing like " Joe Woodstock" so dont be map if ur name sucks and someone shoots u :lol:
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

Some general tips on flying that I found (not necessarily specific to BF1942)

1. Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.

2. If you push the stick forward, the trees and hills get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again.

3. Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

4. It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

5. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

6. The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

7. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

8. A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.

9. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

10. You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

11. The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.

12. Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.

13. Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another aeroplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.

14. Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made.

15. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no-one knows what they are.

16. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

17. Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them.

18. If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.

19. In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminium going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

20. Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.

21. It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible.

22. Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

23. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.

24. The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, the runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.

25. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are, however, no old bold pilots.
Last edited by [JiF]Djsmg on Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have decided to produce and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly".
That way everyone in the country can get wasted drinking Responsibly.
And all the other drinks makers will be advertising for me on their cans with the slogan "please drink Responsibly".
Probably will annoy the government as well.
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

Another reason no-one can legitimately complain about novice flyers is the bot flyer.

The bot flyer can be a help or a hinderance. Generally you either get 'Ace' bot or 'Aimless' bot, the latter most apparent at the end of the game.

Bots usually get first rights to planes, particularly at the start of each game and resolutely refuse to bail out.

I don't moan about bot flyers, they never listen and probably have a better union than us.

hutchie.
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

hUTCHIE wrote:Another reason no-one can legitimately complain about novice flyers is the bot flyer.

The bot flyer can be a help or a hinderance. Generally you either get 'Ace' bot or 'Aimless' bot, the latter most apparent at the end of the game.

Bots usually get first rights to planes, particularly at the start of each game and resolutely refuse to bail out.

I don't moan about bot flyers, they never listen and probably have a better union than us.

hutchie.
Actually, they never miss.... the trick is to actually get them to fly over the killzones and not basically fly around in circles in the corner of the map near the OB!!!! :?

Ever see them ditch as they are taking off? It's funny, like a delayed reaction...they'll get to end of runway b4 bailing 10 secs AFTER you hit F6 F7!!!

LT