Heavy vs. Light Armor

Topic's about Some new game by EA
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Heavy vs. Light Armor

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

Alright, I never really understood the difference between the two besides the two facts that Heavy slows you down and gives you more protection while Light obviously makes you faster.

I accidentally disabled Heavy armor the other day by accident for the first time while playing the 1.4 Beta.. and I kind of like it. It brings back the speed of BF2 and makes a big difference in my opinion. However, I never really saw a difference on the protection side of things. It actually seemed that without Heavy Armor I was getting killed less(??)

So my question is, what type does everyone prefer? Do you use it for some classes and not for some other ones?
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Re: Heavy vs. Light Armor

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

I use the heavy when I'm playing support or recon and use the light when playing assault. To me it seems it the heavy works better for those two as your in the line of fire sometime and need the extra protection. When I play support I kinda run the frontline for my squad in front of the medics to take most of the hits and if I die the enemy is either dead or almost dead and the medic can finish him off and hen revive me. When I play assault I use the light so I can get to my team mates quicker to revive them. Those are just my preferences.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Hmmm... I never tried light armor. I will have to try it out.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

Interesting - my approach is completely the opposite. I use light armor as recon, because I like to be more mobile. I figure that with my Lambert, I'm not likely to win a close range stand up fight anyway, so the heavy armor isn't helping me. I like to be able to dart around and drop APM's in key places, and hopefully to flank people can gun them down while they're looking in a different direction. As assault, I wear heavy armor because I figure I'm gonna be on the front lines. Same thing with support. With engineer, it varies depending on the map.
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

Played again tonight. I think I like Light Armor a lot more on Assault.. but I think that's just because I'm used to my character being fast(er) from BF2.
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

I myself prefer light for all kits except engi, cause heavy protects more against splash and since I try to mostly play on server with real settings (i.e. with FF on as in real war - keeps stats padding low too) it helps. But I think speed is of the essence with all kits and 2 or 3 blueets hits doesn't really make that much a difference to warrant lugging the heavy around.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

So the speed difference is really that noticeable? I am really going to have to try this.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Is there a speed difference? I'm not actually sure about that. What's important to me is the greatly increased sprint time. You can sprint a lot longer before you tire out.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Less filling!

Last month when I played last, I started switching off the heavy armor. The length of time you can run is greatly increased which helps on some of the big maps. If I'm playing and I don't plan on being right up in the battle, then I go light. No need for heavy armor if you are an engie in a mech!
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

One situation where I always wear heavy armor is on the Titan, attacking or defending.
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:Is there a speed difference? I'm not actually sure about that. What's important to me is the greatly increased sprint time. You can sprint a lot longer before you tire out.
That's what I meant, the extremely longer sprint times. It seems almost doubled w/o the Heavy armor. It helps a ton when trying to out-flank someone.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Taste great!

What if you smoke?
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote: What if you smoke?
From a bullet wound or a grenade to your a.. ?
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote:Taste great!

What if you smoke?
Haha, to make the game realistic they should have a customize your character screen where you type in your height/weight, etc. to determine how your character moves. But then again...you'll have to be honest...
[JiF]Sandretzky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sandretzky »

I played about 5 titan maps last night and tried different variations with and without armor. Anyone feel naked??? :shock:
WHO ME?