40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Thos
Site Admin

40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection

Post by [JiF]Thos »

:shock:

Swedish woman gets superfast Internet
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer — many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand-new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070719/ap_ ... d_internet
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Re: 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

ewww!! ewww!!!

I want it!!! I want it!!!!

:)

LT
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

I wouldn't want that fast of a connection, I think my eyes would bleed upon using it... :shock:
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]rIot wrote:I wouldn't want that fast of a connection, I think my eyes would bleed upon using it... :shock:
It can also suck the insides of your PC out. I got an email from someone who knows someone who had this happen to someone he knows.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

[JiF][AARP]Tissueman wrote:
[JiF]rIot wrote:I wouldn't want that fast of a connection, I think my eyes would bleed upon using it... :shock:
It can also suck the insides of your PC out. I got an email from someone who knows someone who had this happen to someone he knows.
Yep, I heard that too. Your data goes out to the attacker soooooo fast it can implode. They are looking to add a small vent like on gas cans to let some air in as it goes out. Its adjustable and when you hear a high pitched whistle you know a hacker is getting your data. Of course it happens so fast you can't actually stop it in time, but your PC will not implode. I read it on the Internet so it must be true. Like HL2 and FH2.
[JiF]Beej1024
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Beej1024 »

I ordered it. Verizon said it should be here soon. Think of how fast the JIF BB will load!

I just got my FIOS connection back after my move last year. (TV TOO!)