Camera Lens

Speaks for itself
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Camera Lens

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

I wanted to see if I could take better pictures of birds on my feeder. I have a Canon A75 camera and from the 100 feet or so I can get close enough with the built in 3X optical zoom. It has more digital zoom but its too hard to use without it being in a fixed position and the quality is iffy. So I did a search for a lens and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/HD5-TELEPHOTO-LEN ... 62&sr=1-80

I don't understand any of this camera stuff, but if I use a lens like that one does it mean I now have 6X optical zoom?
Does it mean I have 3x time 3x and now have 9x?
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: Camera Lens

[JiF]Timmay!
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Timmay! »

Using "digital zoom" is pretty much the same thing as enlarging the picture on your PC with PhotoShop or some such. Don't bother with it.

I don't remember the math (Beej?) but I think it means you'd have 9x now. Things to remember are that because you're adding more stuff to the light path, you're going to lose a little (or maybe a lot, depending on how good the optics are) in quality. Also, higher zoom means less-light/longer-exposure so action shots might be a bit trickier. That's not to say that you can't do very nice long-range action shots, just that you're adding some more variables to how good the end result can be.

Maybe there's a Ritz or something around where you could poke at one of these things?
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

So you are saying I can take better pictures of birds at my bird feeder with it, but it needs to be sunny out and setting my camera on auto won't be okay any more? :D
I think there is a camera store (maybe Ritz) at the Solomon Pond Mall.
[JiF]Timmay!
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Timmay! »

Last time I was there, Ritz was gone from the SPM. Dunno if it's back or not. BestBuy might have stuff..
[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote:So you are saying I can take better pictures of birds at my bird feeder with it, but it needs to be sunny out and setting my camera on auto won't be okay any more? :D
Add the words "may" and "might" and "might not" in there. :P
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

That's right last time I was there some employee in some store said a lot of stores were moving out.
Any more "may" and "mights" and you will start to sound old Timmay!