NS Squad Leader Unlock

Topic's about Some new game by EA
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

NS Squad Leader Unlock

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

Does anyone have the Northern Strike squad leader unlock? Supposedly it decreases the spawn time for your squad. I just unlocked the item below it, so I've been taking it with Field Upgrades. I can't figure out how to use it. It's not an option on the customize screen. Is it a passive unlock, like the various helmets, such that you have it automatically and don't have to equip it? The picture of it looks a lot like a spawn beacon, so I thought it was going to be an upgraded spawn beacon. I selected it as a field upgrade once and then deployed a regular spawn beacon, but I didn't notice any difference in spawn time.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

I was wondering about that one too.
Be curious to know since that'll be the next
branch of use for my unlocks.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

I'm trying to get the silver squad leader badge. You need 20 people to spawn on your beacon in a round to get that. I figured this unlock could help. I actually got the badge a few days ago, but the server crashed before the round ended. Grrrrr. . . :evil:
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:I'm trying to get the silver squad leader badge. You need 20 people to spawn on your beacon in a round to get that. I figured this unlock could help. I actually got the badge a few days ago, but the server crashed before the round ended. Grrrrr. . . :evil:
Those server crashes are incredibly aggravating! I've had a bunch. The northern strike maps seem to follow a pattern of crashing right near the end of rounds- it's like someone notices you're having a good round and decides to pull the plug.
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

How is Northern Strike? Worth the extra $10?
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

I think so. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the new maps are pretty good. My favorite is Leipzig. The new vehicles add some variety. Some of the new unlocks are worthwhile, some aren't. None of them give you too huge an edge, with the exception of the support class's infantry detector device when used on a Titan. That basically gives you a permanent UAV. It's not so useful out in the field though, because its range is very short.
[JiF]DispDave
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DispDave »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:I think so. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the new maps are pretty good. My favorite is Leipzig. The new vehicles add some variety. Some of the new unlocks are worthwhile, some aren't. None of them give you too huge an edge, with the exception of the support class's infantry detector device when used on a Titan. That basically gives you a permanent UAV. It's not so useful out in the field though, because its range is very short.
Albie - I've noticed the detector not working on infantry but only for vehicles since the last update.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

[JiF]DispDave wrote:
[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:I think so. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the new maps are pretty good. My favorite is Leipzig. The new vehicles add some variety. Some of the new unlocks are worthwhile, some aren't. None of them give you too huge an edge, with the exception of the support class's infantry detector device when used on a Titan. That basically gives you a permanent UAV. It's not so useful out in the field though, because its range is very short.
Albie - I've noticed the detector not working on infantry but only for vehicles since the last update.
There are two detectors. The engineer class has the PDS which detects vehicles only. The support class has the IDS which detects infantry only. The PDS was in the original game, and the IDS comes with NS. The PDS has a decent range, similar to the radius of a UAV. The IDS has a tiny range. It's effective on a Titan, but when you use it on the ground, sometimes you can barely see its little circles on the map because they're so small.

My usual gear for the support class is the sentry gun and pulse meter. But if I'm on a Titan, I'll switch the pulse meter to the IDS.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

So did you get that badge yesterday Albie, or did you crash out?
I saw you leave before the round ended, assumed it was a crash,
couldn't imagine you quitting out when you had the badge in hand!
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

[JiF]Stepovich wrote:So did you get that badge yesterday Albie, or did you crash out?
I saw you leave before the round ended, assumed it was a crash,
couldn't imagine you quitting out when you had the badge in hand!
I actually didn't crash, I got kicked to make room for a clan member. Oh well. You would think that maybe they'd look at the scoreboard before deciding who to kick, and kick someone with a really low score who had just joined. Or at the least, not kick a squad leader. But it's not my server, so I can't tell them how to run it. I play on the AFS server quite a bit.

But anyway, since it was a kick and not a crash, I did still get credit for the badge :) I think I actually have enough total lifetime beacon spawns to qualify for the gold badge already, so now I need 30 beacon spawns in a round. I'm also playing support almost constantly, to work up to 50 hours so I can get the gold support and resupply badges. I'm just under 40 hours now I think. I don't like support as much as assault or engineer, but it's still fun to play. The shotgun is a lot of fun on a Titan. A challenge for me is going to be recon, since I'm not good at that class and don't really like that play style. I already have gold in assault and engineer :D
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

That's all I play now is recon- demo pack and APM's!
I haven't checked the badges lately, but I'm probably close to
gold on that one. Assault too, but I rarely play that anymore.
I play them both the same way though and find the recon
to be more effective because of the APM's- they work
wonders covering your back when your squad is unreliable.

That round you got kicked from- that other team was
tough. They had like 2 squads that were coordinating and
attacked from 2 directions on each flag- it was devestating.
I was amazed when we started managing to push them
back- we were doing well till you got kicked.
I can't believe they didn't check and kick someone without
a high score. We barely lost the round by like 10 pnts.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

May have been the reason you were kicked...
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Nah. See my ASF thread I'm about to start. Edit: It will be in the private forum.
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

SLB upgrade is worth it and like you said is passive. It is lucky for you guys now to work for the SL Gold with that upgrade. Think about how it was for me to get 30 without it. Need to play on the maps with the SLB is really worth the use of that tool, and you have to keep repositioning it in keeping it's usefullness.

I didn't play Recon untill I unlocked the the NetDat and the Lambert Carbine.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

How much does it decrease spawn time?