BF2: Desert Combat

Topics about EA's Battlefield 2 game
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

BF2: Desert Combat

Post by [JiF]rIot »

Something I came across in the Nor' Easter forums, guess it comes out on Friday...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJXIEbkF10U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJXIEbkF10U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Looks great, but isn't it just BF2 with a few more maps/toys??
(BDU)opcenter
Forum User

Post by (BDU)opcenter »

I think it's a lot more than that. It ditches the points/unlock system and has gameplay more like the original Desert Combat (the new one is actually called Desert Conflict). I think this includes un-nerf'd-helicopters and jets and stuff. I'm very curious to give it a try.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

(BDU)opcenter wrote:I think it's a lot more than that. It ditches the points/unlock system and has gameplay more like the original Desert Combat (the new one is actually called Desert Conflict). I think this includes un-nerf'd-helicopters and jets and stuff. I'm very curious to give it a try.
It does absolutely look worthy of a try!
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

I still remember those maps from the 1942 mod.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

I remember my first time playing Desert Combat. I had just recently joined JiF, and I was asking on TS if Desert Combat was harder than regular 1942 or not. Someone, I think maybe Dave, said "It's easy - it sucks all the skill right out of it."
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

The best thing in DC for me was the dune buggy. Sep, few maps didn't have them in it. DC dune buggy could do power slides (drifting for you young punks) were the BF2 FAVs could not. One of the patches the assault guys could deploy sand bags. That was cool, but next patch took them out.
[JiF]DispDave
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DispDave »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:I remember my first time playing Desert Combat. I had just recently joined JiF, and I was asking on TS if Desert Combat was harder than regular 1942 or not. Someone, I think maybe Dave, said "It's easy - it sucks all the skill right out of it."
Yup that was me. How hard can a game be when you can shoot down Helos with a tank's main gun!
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Good point, I've done it in 2142 ;)
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
(BDU)opcenter
Forum User

Post by (BDU)opcenter »

The client is available now, I'm downloading it. :)

BitTorrent is FLYING!

http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=995
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

I have to disagree...I've been taking out air units with tanks since BF1942 and it is no simple act pitting a tank pilot up against a ace air pilot. Plane, Helo, Jet or Gunship. In DC, we are talking one tank round vs a hinds many missles and heavy missiles. Drive a tank dogeing those, getting an angle and squeazing a round off takes some skill.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Downloading. Its going a bit slow, but hopefully its done before I go home tonight :D
[JiF]DispDave
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DispDave »

JPistol wrote:I have to disagree...I've been taking out air units with tanks since BF1942 and it is no simple act pitting a tank pilot up against a ace air pilot. Plane, Helo, Jet or Gunship. In DC, we are talking one tank round vs a hinds many missles and heavy missiles. Drive a tank dogeing those, getting an angle and squeazing a round off takes some skill.
So you're saying you were taking out FLYING planes with the main gun of a tank in 1942?
(BDU)opcenter
Forum User

Post by (BDU)opcenter »

I did that a few times. I certainly wouldn't say it was easy... assuming the pilot wasn't a complete moron. :)
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

[JiF]DispDave wrote:So you're saying you were taking out FLYING planes with the main gun of a tank in 1942?

Yes, BF1942 done it many times, even the Bomber if was hurt enough. I never man the top MG in fear of loosing the tank to the enemy. While others piss 'n moan about the planes, it was my favorite challange in BF1942. Tank vs Plane, Arty vs Plane, Destroyer vs Plane, and APC (JP hot-rod) vs Plane. If any of you remember Kiss of Death and Yooper from the 3FL during the BF1942 season. I've gone head on head with them many times and came out my tank smoking but still in tact.

DC, taken out a few jets here and there with the tanks (even the heavy arty), usually the A10s but I've taken out a few fast movers.

BF2 was harder, think I've taken out 10 jets total thru the BF2 career. Was harder to find areas with enough angle to hit one. Most of those times your tank stuck out like a sore thumb. Too, the jets were bit faster in pitching back up to higher level after a bombing.

BF2142, Gunships are fairly easy to take out with all the equipment at hand. Why the emps will be reduced come next patch and saaw lock on time extended.