Northern Strike

Topic's about Some new game by EA
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

[JiF]KellysHero wrote:Is NS available for download from the EA downloader? If you do download it from there and then your computer crashes, how do you get another copy of it?
Clear your cache and it will let you download it again. It's right on the download/install page of the EA downloader- I had a similar problem, error installing it, had to re-download. Just delete the download and it re-appears for repeat download.
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]bigjohnson
Forum User

Post by [JiF]bigjohnson »

downloaded 160MB in about 20 minutes.. installing now
[JiF]bigjohnson
Forum User

Post by [JiF]bigjohnson »

ok.. installed. says ready to use but nothing happens when I click on it?
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

[JiF]bigjohnson wrote:ok.. installed. says ready to use but nothing happens when I click on it?
Same thjng happened to me last night, I re-downloaded it twice before I gave up and decided to wait till today. Going to try again when I get home.
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Ummm... You just install it and then go start BF 2142. Thats all. Nothing fancy to do.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

so what are the actual changes besides the unlocks??
I didn't see any difference playing tonight...
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

I dont think theres anything too different, just the vehicles and unlocks. I played on a battle walker map tonight just to test things out. Seems like the new maps are pretty good. I like it cuz its something a bit different for a change :D
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

I played for a few hours yesterday on Merlincats NS server. To me it seems like they made it easier to get some awards and stuff as I received some awards that I have never gotten before when I basically had the same score. The new maps aren't to bad it breaks up the same o which is nice. The Goliath is a mean machine and the hovering thing is pretty cool to drive once you figure out the glide rate when turning and stuff. I tried some of the new unlocks thru the field upgrades and some of them are nice like the shotgun addon for the support.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.
[JiF]DispDave
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DispDave »

What's the deal with the unlocks?
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

I played one of the maps last night, forget what it's called, but it's the
one that was featured in the promo-video.
The new vehicles are interesting- the regenerating armor APC is
practically invincible but slow, slow, SLOW.

Maps seem great though, nice to have a change of pace. The one I
was on was a great infantry map...vehicles will go down fast
without infantry support.

And a few shiny new badged too!
- Thomas Wolfe.
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

Played some on the 8th.

BigJohnson, since you and I are ranked the same. You will get two unlocks real quick when playing NS. So should others players with out a high rank. Just I was not expecting not to be able to earn any more perm unlocks.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

I think you get two NS badges just for getting like 6 kills on a NS strike map and spending 5 minutes in a new NS vehicle. And you get an unlock with each badge. It's different from regular 2142 where you get unlocks with promotions. You still get those, but in NS you also get unlocks when you get the new badges or ribbons. They did this cause they didn't create 10 new ranks to go along with the 10 new unlocks.

So most people should get two unlocks pretty quickly, regardless of their rank (high or low).
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

Is a good incentive to get people to pay 10 bucks. At least still have to earn the unlocks, but this process is close to just giving them away in compairson to ranking.

In a different light, is better to think of it as a scondondary tree of skills that have to build up. Like in the begining of ranking system. First few ranks came quickly.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Yeah, but nothing says that the unlocks you earn from NS badges/ribbons have to be used on NS unlocks. I'm pretty sure you can use them for any unlocks. Anyway, those two badges are like the other bronze-level badges. They're easy to earn. I haven't seen the requirements for gold and silver, but I imagine they're much higher.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Ok, I take it back. Silver and gold aren't that hard. Here are the requirements:

You get an unlock for each badge and ribbon, but no career points.

Arctic Combat Bronze: 6 kills in a NS round
Arctic Combat Silver: 10 kills in a NS round, 2 hours total playing NS
Arctic Combat Gold: 14 kills in a NS round, 5 hours total playing NS

Vehicle Excellence Bronze: 5 minutes in a NS vehicle in a round
Vehicle Excellence Silver: 8 kills with a NS vehicle in a round, 1 hour total in a NS vehicle
Vehicle Excellence Gold: 12 kills with a NS vehicle in a round, 4 hour total in a NS vehicle

Operation Snowflake Ribbon: 5 roadkills with a speeder in a round, 40 kills total with a speeder
Cold Front Unit Service Ribbons: 15 kills in a NS round, 2 wins on each of the 3 NS maps
Transporter Duty Ribbon: 9 kills with goliath in a round, 2 hours total with goliath
Meritorious Winterstike Ribbon: total of 4 destroyed speeders, 2 destroyed goliaths, 5 deaths by speeder, and 5 deaths by goliath

There's also a new pin, the Assault Lines Attack Pin. You get it for capturing the home base in an Assault Lines map, and you get 5 career points (no unlock).