Windows 10 - Apps Not Working - Help!

Speaks for itself
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Windows 10 - Apps Not Working - Help!

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

All,

for those of you with Windows 10:

All of a sudden, my Mail App will not work properly. Once it opens, I try to click on anything, it auto closes.

The calendar portion still works properly (apparently part of same app).

The only known changes I have made were installing Origin and BF1 since last time it worked (almost ready to uninstall these anyways!).

I went online to different forums to no avail. I did what they suggested using Windows PowerShell to uninstall & reinstall the apps.
Didnt work.

Any thoughts/suggestions!?!??!

LTWB
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 - Apps Not Working - Help!

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Hey LTWB,

I had a similar thing happen on a laptop here at work, none of the Windows 10 apps would work. No start menu, no mail app, no settings, nothing. I read in a few places it was related to a Windows Update and sometimes a previous restore point would get it working again. This laptop though, had no restore points. :roll: I tried a few different things including some stuff with the powershell but nothing worked. I eventually just wiped the thing clean and reinstalled Windows 10. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I wasted a lot of time looking for a solution. Reloading WIndows 10 is pretty fast. I would have reset Windows 10, but I couldn't even get to that option... Good luck though.
ImageImage
[JiF]MiniBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]MiniBadger »

If you guys have the latest NVidia driver, it's to blame. They are rushing a fix for it as we speak.

"What gamers received instead was a bundle of headaches. Taking to the Nvidia subreddit, Windows 10 gamers complained of 375.57 causing select Windows Store apps to crash, the inability to drag and drop Start menu tiles without their system freaking out, and image artifacts in GIFs and videos."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134478/ ... -apps.html
Hello there
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

Hi Mike,

As Mini may remember we had a similar problem that was associated with usernames. Start button, action center and certain aps just wouldn't function. The only work around at the time was to create a new user. Uninstalling and re-install the problem user had no positive effect.
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I did try creating a new user, not even that worked. One of the more serious issues I've seen with Windows 10. It happened to my home desktop as well, but I had upgraded from Win7 to 8, and then to 10. It was due for a rebuild anyway, so I didn't even bother trying anything else on it lol.
ImageImage
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Wow,

thanks guys.

Yeah I tried all those things Mik did (except for reinstalling Win 10 - that AINT gonna happen! lol) to no avail.

Mini - that's interesting - that is the OTHER change I made that I forgot about - the new NVidia driver!

that may be the root cause - tanxs!

I'll just have to wait and see.

In the mean time, just using Outlook 2007 to open emails. wow - had to remember how to use that too (displays were messed up, etc that I had to reconfigure). working just like the "simple" mail app now :)

LTWB
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

ROFL...

about 2 hrs after I posted the above, Nvidia rolled out the newer driver.

I installed and now it looks like everything is working again (hasnt auto closed yet even after editing/messin with various emails). I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed!

good job, Mini! :)

LTWB