GameSpy MultiPlayer Service Ending?

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

GameSpy MultiPlayer Service Ending?

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

All,

This weekend, I tried to play BF1942 on the server, and every attempt to connect via multiplayer caused the game to freeze up.
Single player works fine along with local server.

Went on line and found out that GameSpy is shutting down. As I understand it from a bunch of forums, they drive the EA games older servers such as all of the old BF platforms.

Wondering if this truly an end to an era???? :(

I might have found a couple of complicated workarounds but havent tried them yet.

Wondering, based on the bulletin board, if others are now seeing the same issue.

LTWB

-- Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:02 am --

Ok,

Found that the workaround works:

1 - Right click a blank bit of desktop and choose 'New'>>'Shortcut'
2 - In the wizard that pops up copy one of the links below and paste it into the blank input box:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1 +joinServer 216.155.146.150:14567

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1 +joinServer 216.155.146.150:14567

For Windows 7 (x86) use:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1 +joinServer 216.155.146.150:14567

3- give the new shortcut a name - like BF1942 TDM or CQ

4 - doubleclick the new shortcut to play

Hope this fixes for most folks!!! :)

LTWB
Silver
Repeat Visitor

Re: GameSpy MultiPlayer Service Ending?

Post by Silver »

I added some more info in the forum chat. You can also download and install a modified game binariy that points to a replacement master server. It's also possible to edit your PC's host file to point the game to this or other replacement master servers.
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

Thanks, Silver! :)

LTWB
[JiF]cam
Forum User

Post by [JiF]cam »

hi all, i aint no techy myself, but i am a member of gametracker, i downloaded their gametracker lite and it seems to be working for me. u can still see all the servers that are up and join right from the gametracker page. there is some other ways but where a little to technical for me without wifey, who told me its time for me to figure it out myself! lol
Hope to c yall soon, cam