End of XP support

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

End of XP support

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

The end of support for XP has led to some surprising decisions:
1. One of my smaller clients is updating her four Pc's to Windows 7. She wanted nothing to do with Windows 8 (point one or otherwise). No real surprise here.
2. Another is converting his three office Pc's and two laptops to Linux Mint (he wants to abandon all Microsoft software in the process). This should be a bit of a challenge.
3. My dentist office client is using this as an excuse to upgrade his entire network to Windows 7. They are running the latest version of Abledent so it is the simplest solution.
4. Our Town Hall (approximately 50+ Pc's and 20+ laptops) is using the end of XP support as an excuse to retire all of it's XP, Windows 7 and 8 based laptops in favor of iPads. This has led to an ongoing debate as to whether or not to convert all of its systems to Apple or some other platform. Now this one is surprising, I wouldn't have guessed they would have even considered this a few years ago. In the end money will decide the final mix but at this stage it looks like at least half of the systems will move away from Microsoft platforms.

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this kind of reaction to the end of XP support?
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Re: End of XP support

Post by [JiF]Brick »

My largest client is going to Windows 7 instead of 8. Most of this requires a new hardware purchase.

I see a lot of resistance to Windows 8.
I hate it myself.
This awesome free program makes it act like windows 7 and makes it tolerable: http://classicshell.net/

MS said they were not going to patch XP anymore, but backed off on that this week when a bad Internet Explorer vulnerability appeared:
http://www.informationweek.com/software ... ignId=2993

http://recode.net/2014/05/01/microsoft- ... indows-xp/
Last edited by [JiF]Brick on Fri May 02, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

Most of my clients are all going to windows 7. Now most of my clients are also big Government agencies so we area talking 1000+ workstations. Luckily I only really have to deal with the applications I need to support for these clients and not have to deal with the roll out.

I am not surprised about the move to a linux flavour and this is not a bad idea (although I personally find Ubuntu easier to use for first time linux users), it has a steep learning curve for anybody not use to it and support for most mainstream applications is for Windows only (WINE configuration is a pain).

I am surprised about the Apple decision. It is not one that is usually thought of as a full infrastructure replacement. The iPads are ok and will work with any system really, but to move to apple workstations too? does this mean your server backend is to be replaced too or they going with Micro$oft backend but apple frontend? wow...Apple is also notoriously more expensive then PC (but can be argued that it is more stable)

Windows 7 is the big migration I have seen. Not many have gone to W8.1 (W8 is a none starter).

My observations
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

I agree with your assessment of Apple. The IT guy for the Town is pretty young and runs Apple at home. He is being supported in his position by the IT staff for our emergency services - a former Apple salesman. I doubt it will go beyond replacing the Laptops. We use them (laptops) almost exclusively for email and reading reports. Very little input. I can't see linking them into our accounting, admin, payroll and planning systems... too costly and way too much work.

What surprised me was the willingness to look at non-windows platforms. Windows has been the default choice for so long that I'd forgotten there are other "choices". In the past the only discussions we've ever had involved what Windows/Office license package we should purchase and how often we should upgrade our workstations.

No matter which way we go the fact that we no longer see Windows as the "only" choice is an amazing change in attitude.
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

I feel so old. I hate any changes now.
I did switch to a Windows 8 phone from iPhone and was actually surprised by it. I only got it because it was so cheap compared to Apple. Ya, it has bugs, but Windows 8 is a pretty good interface on a phone. I don't like Droids either :)

I have avoided Windows 8 on the PC completely for now. None have shown up at work yet either. Still got some XP that need to go though.
Clients have been putting up Server 2012 so I have had to deal a little with the interface which I can only describe as stupid on a server at this point. Then again it is new and I hate new :)
RHEL servers seem to just keep growing in our client community too.

I hear from many field employees that want to go Apple. They are sales people and I don't think they can give a good reason why though. My guess is someone made them jealous so they want it or it matches their iPhones.

The other thing that still seems to linger is a few of them not wanting to give up their Blackberry devices. They must be old people too.

Wow, I have not rambled for a while. Feels good.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote:I feel so old. I hate any changes now.
Wow, I have not rambled for a while. Feels good.
Welcome to my world. :)
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

:)