Volt couldn't take the volts!

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Volt couldn't take the volts!

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Sorry, this is a long one!

Yesterday was an interesting but sad day. The night before we had a bad lightning storm and a tree on our road was hit, less than 200' from our house. The top portion of the tree was thrown across the road taking the power lines, cable lines, and phone lines with it. I can't really describe to you how loud, bright and sudden everything happened. When the storm abated a bit I jumped in the car to see if I could find the problem, it didn't take long.

Not a great picture from inside my wifes car. It was still raining.

I zoomed in with my phone for this pic. The wires were hanging pretty low, I didn't dare get any closer. I noticed that at least one wire had been pulled off of the pole at the end of our driveway, but was still connected to the pole up the street, just before the downed lines. That must have been quite the sound! The wire was stretched so tight!

Yesterday morning I headed to work, the power was back and everything seemed ok. When I walked into my barn where my Volt was plugged in and charging I can see red lights on the charger. Hoping I can just reset it I unplug it and plug it back in, same thing happens. I figure the charger must have been zapped, bummer! I jump in the car to leave and it comes on as normal. My parents live up the street and had mentioned they had some electrical damage, so I head up there to talk to them. I went inside for a few minutes, turning the car off. When I came back out the car was making noises like it was on (there are pumps and fans to cool things). Not something I usually here when it's off. I get in and start it up only to be presented with a number of warning lights and messages on my dash.... I had also lost 5 miles in range while I was inside for a very short time. Since it was running, and I was gonna be late for work already, I left. I hit my OnStar button and asked them to run a diagnostic while I was driving. She comes back on the line once the tests are done and is really quiet...not a good sign... and says I have 7 error codes showing up. One is an ignition circuit error that needs to be addressed right away. Others have to do with the transmission and other things. She then conferences me into my dealer who sets up an appointment right away.... uh-oh....

Later at the dealership I sit with one of their experts on the Volt. He mentions something about being in charge of sales or something for Volts in the New England area. He hooks up his laptop and runs some test. More errors popup. So they take it back to the service bay to do a "reboot" like we would a computer. Still, no change. So, I now have a rental, and they are looking into the problem. The way he talked it sounded like this sort of thing had not happened before. I called my insurance company and they are covering the cost under my comprehensive policy, but even they are in new territory they said. There's no real precedent set for electrical damage to an electric car due to a close proximity lightning strike. It seems everyone is figuring this out as they go. The rep at the dealership was already talking to me about how they will probably learn something from this to help stop it from happening to others. I usually like being on the bleeding edge, but not so much right now!

These were taken yesterday afternoon after the crew was done with the tree cleanup. Bigger tree than I thought...

Once I was home I started testing other things. So far I have found our DSL modem is toast. My garage door opener will open, but not close. Our bass box for our home theater is done. My 24-port managed gigabit network switch has some ports that aren't working anymore. The network card on my desktop isn't working, and my laptop power supply no longer works. I've also verified the Volt charger no longer works. I was quite depressed last night. I stopped looking for things that were broken, cause I kept finding them. There's more to test, then I need to get started on the home owners insurance claim. To think, I use to like lightning storms....
ImageImage
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: Volt couldn't take the volts!

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Wow, now THAT is a horror story. Hope you are able to get things working again soon.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I just heard from my father. He also has a Volt and his charger was fried as well. There are even burn marks on the outlet where it was plugged in. While his car seemed fine, no error messages on the dash or anything, he asked OnStar to run a diagnostic and he has 6 error codes. He's on his way to the dealership now. :roll:
ImageImage
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Ouch. We had lightening hit a tree in our backyard in GA. It was maybe 50 feet from the house. Talk about loud. No damage fortunately other than we lost a beautiful oak tree.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Well that just sucks. Worse one we had one of our light bulbs in the house exploded during a strike and yes it was incredibly loud. Never found anything else damaged, but that was way before we all had electronic devices everywhere :)
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Ouch Mike! Did you have a surge protector on your main breaker box? Also surge protectors are supposed to come with warranties if you had other electrical equipment plugged into them.

-- Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 pm --

Ouch Mike! Did you have a surge protector on your main breaker box? Also surge protectors are supposed to come with warranties if you had other electrical equipment plugged into them.
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
westom
New User

Post by westom »

[JiF]Mike wrote:I just heard from my father. He also has a Volt and his charger was fried as well.
You may want to learn how to avoid future damage. That starts by first reviewing some basic concepts originally taught in elementary school science.

Lightning seeks earth ground. A path for a 20,000 amp electric surge is via a wooden church steeple destructively to earth. Wood is not a good conductor. So 20,000 amps creates a high voltage. 20,000 amps times a high voltage is high energy. Church steeple damaged.

Franklin installed a lightning rod. Now 20,000 amps is via a wire to an earthing electrode. High current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. Nothing damaged.

Lightning seeks earth ground. A lightning strike to utility wires far down the street is a direct strike, incoming to every household appliance (and Volt), destructively to earth. Appliances are not a good conductor. So lightning creates a high voltage. Lightning current times a high voltage is high energy. Appliances (or Volt) damaged.

For over 100 years, facilities that cannot have damage installed superior earthing connected low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet') via one 'whole house' protector. Then high current creates near zero voltage. 20,000 amps times a near zero voltage is near zero energy. No appliance is damaged.

Protection of a structure is not by a lightning rod. Protection of appliances is not by a protector. In both cases, protection is defined by what harmlessly absorbed hundreds of thousands of joules. Since you did not earth that current before it could enter, then it found the best and destructive path to earth - via the Volt. BTW, concrete is an electrical conductor.

Nothing (not even rubber tires) stop a surge. Either you connect that maybe 20,000 amps harmlessly outside. Or that current goes hunting for earth destructively via the structure or via appliances inside the structure. Only you make that decision.
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]KellysHero wrote:Ouch Mike! Did you have a surge protector on your main breaker box? Also surge protectors are supposed to come with warranties if you had other electrical equipment plugged into them.

-- Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 pm --

Kelly have you developed a stutter?
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

[JiF]KellysHero wrote:Ouch Mike! Did you have a surge protector on your main breaker box? Also surge protectors are supposed to come with warranties if you had other electrical equipment plugged into them.
I did have a surge protector when I first got the car. Then I got a garage door opener and moved it to that. I was told the charger had surge protection built in, which the dealership kind of confirmed... However my garage door opener isn't working either so I don't know that it would have helped! I talked with an electrician friend who came up to look at the damage and he said there was easily 4-5 million volts that made it to the house, if not more. He said there's really nothing that can guarantee protection against that kind of surge. I asked him about the whole home surge protectors and he said it might have helped, but again there is no way to be sure with a strike so close and right on the lines like it was. I've also noticed a number of our surge protectors are now lit up with the "unprotected" light, so I wonder if they did protect equipment and "sacrificed" themselves in the process. :roll:

I finally got my car back last night. Can you believe it took this long? They only replaced 3 parts on the car, plus the charger and it cost $3200. Glad I have insurance to cover most of it. I really hated driving that gas guzzling ICE car I had for a rental. I was averaging 22 mpg in that beast, and it was loud! lol

I'm glad to have my car back. I think I burned more gas in the last 3 weeks than I did in the previous 3 months, probably more!
ImageImage
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Sounds like you got off ok.
westom
New User

Post by westom »

[JiF]Mike wrote: I was told the charger had surge protection built in, which the dealership kind of confirmed... However my garage door opener isn't working either so I don't know that it would have helped! I talked with an electrician friend who came up to look at the damage and he said there was easily 4-5 million volts that made it to the house, if not more.
All appliances already contain surge protection. After all, why is every appliance not destroyed by (what hearsay calls) 4-5 million volts? For many reasons. For example, a 4-5 million volts would have existed elsewhere in the current path; not inside any house. For example, because the Volt (and garage door opener) made a better path to earth, then that current did not have to find earth destructively via anything other appliances - nothing else damaged. For example, your Volt did destructively what a 'whole house' protector would have done better and without damage.

Unfortunately you moved that completely different device (also called a protector) adjacent to the Volt. It did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do. Since a 'whole house' protector was not earthed, then that adjacent protector may have even made Volt damage easier. Why did that current use the Volt and not use the refrigerator, dishwasher, central air, clocks, TVs, etc? Reasons were described *above* using concepts originally taught in school science.

Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. What is the voltage? That was described above (and why it would never be 4-5 million volts). 'Whole house' protectors, rated at least 50,000 amps, have numbers that say it can protect from direct lightning. And remain functional.

Protection already inside the Volt's charger and all other appliances can be overwhelmed IF a 'whole house' protector is not earthed. You learned why one device (called a protector) is so ineffective. And why the other device (also called a protector) is so effective when properly earthed. As described in layman concepts posted *here*.