World of Tanks - basic info for newbies

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

World of Tanks - basic info for newbies

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Since more of us are playing World of Tanks, I thought I’d offer up some basic info to answer questions that newbies may have.

Platoons

One of the first things you hear newbies ask is, “How do I find you guys?” You need to understand that WoT doesn’t use servers like other multiplayer games – instead you have to form platoons with friends. And here’s the worst thing about the game – right now, the largest platoon you can form is 3 players (if one of them has a Premium Account, i.e., paid Real Money to subscribe). Non-Premium players are limited to 2-player platoons. So the most Jiffers that can ever play at once together is 3, and might be 2. Right now, I believe only Gib, Gav and I have Premium Accounts. What this means is that if we have 5 Jiffers playing, we’ll have to split up into separate platoons to play together.

Contacts

So then how do you see the other players in game? You need to add them to your contacts list. So one of the first things you’ll want to do after logging in is to click on the Contacts tab in the bottom left, then click Find Contacts, and starting adding us Jiffers to your list. We need to do the same with you. You can only invite others to a platoon if you are on this list. I believe the list currently consists of:

Unclestinky1
Gib2012
Private_S_Baldrick (Gav)
Jiftop
Jifcorn
Jifjimbo
Guitarmike (Dater)
Evilminibadger
Alargewoodenbadger
Kelticknight (Navy)

Tiers, Experience and Credits

There are 10 tiers of tanks, and you start off at Tier I. As you fight in battles, you earn experience and credits. There are tech trees for each of the nationalities that show you how much experience and credits are needed to 1) upgrade your tank’s components; and then 2) buy the next tier’s tank. Experience comes in two flavors: tied and free. Free experience is earned at a 5% rate of tied. You can use tied XP only on the tank that earns it; free XP is like a wild card – it can be used on any tank. Once you max out a tank’s upgrades and buy the next level tank, the previous tanks becomes “elite,” meaning that you can convert all the XPs it earns to free XP (at a cost). Once I’ve found a tank I like, I use it to generate this XP for my other tanks.

Tank classes

There are 5 classes of tanks: light, medium, heavy, tank destroyer (TD) and self-propelled artillery (SPA). When you start out you, you won’t access to all of them but as you advance up the tiers they will appear. Light tanks tend to be scouts, quickly running out to spot enemies for the heavies and SPA. Mediums can serve a variety of roles. Heavies advance slowly and tend to get into slug-fests with their counterparts. SPAs usually hang out near the base; they play very differently than the others, in that you activate a god’s-eye-view by hitting the Shift key, and can then drop your calling cards on tanks all over the map, assuming you have line of sight. They are fun, but can be frustrating.

Matchmaking

This is complicated – here’s a link that explains it. http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The most important thing to understand is that platoons must be made up of similarly-ranked tanks to avoid ending up in sure-death scenarios. Also, a tank’s rank isn’t necessarily what it is considered for map ranking. Whoever the platoon leader should make sure that the tanks are right before hitting the Battle button.

Gold

If you are willing to spend some Real Money on the game, then you do get some advantages. First off, you can buy special tanks not available to others (such as one of my favorites, the Pz S35 Tier III medium tank). They start out fully upgraded, and can earn you XP and credits right away. You can also use Gold to convert earned XP to free XP. You can buy Gold ammo, which has a lot more penetration and damage than normal ammo. You can buy extra tank slots in the garage, and upgrade your crew skills to 100%. You can add camo and markings to your tanks. Finally, you can buy a Premium Account which allows you to form 3-tank platoons.

Tips for beginners

Obviously, what you play will depend on your personal preferences. But if you want some advice, I’d say use your XP and credits to upgrade ASAP to the Tier II T2 Medium tank in the American tech tree. It has a nice mix of speed, hitting power and armor, and is fun to play. If you are looking for a longer term goal, Gib and I love our Tier IV German TD Hetzers .
[JiF]MiniBadger
Forum User

Re: World of Tanks - basic info for newbies

Post by [JiF]MiniBadger »

Hey thats my name in there!
IM SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Guys, sometimes i act and say really stupid or nosensical things,
Sorry)

- Sincerily MINIBADGER!!!!! :D:DD:D

-- Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 pm --

Oh, this is my add on, the tech tree is somewhat complex, if you want alot of different types of tanks (and different nations versions) You better be willin to buy some gold, 300 gold = one more tank slot via garage, you can go into battle with any of your tanks that are repaired and not in battle, (ammo or no ammo) if you die, you wait for the battle to end (spectate or wait in your garage or enter a battle on another veichle) then when it ends, you repair the tank, (if you want to use it again) only anks that dont need a repair are default/newbie tanks, so you can earn more money, there are tiers, im not going into detail with them but, you start with all tier 1 tanks, you go into battle with tier 1/2 tanks, when you earn more tanks, they have HIGHER tiers, it goes all the way up to 10 i think, you can ave tier 4 LIGHT, MEDIUM AND HEAVY TANKS (dont forget spg's aka artillery) I THINK the higher the tier, the more you damage high tiers (instead of tier 1 v 5) "That one bounced! that one didn't go through! WE DIDN'T PENETRATE THEIR ARMOR" etc, that means you did no damage, your gun/ammo can have different statistics, like average penatration 115/115/175 etc, same with your barrel. you can get on most tanks Armor piercing (default) HE aka High Explosive, and gold ammo which is more penatration and a bit more HE

-Mini

-- Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 pm --

Oh, this is my add on, the tech tree is somewhat complex, if you want alot of different types of tanks (and different nations versions) You better be willin to buy some gold, 300 gold = one more tank slot via garage, you can go into battle with any of your tanks that are repaired and not in battle, (ammo or no ammo) if you die, you wait for the battle to end (spectate or wait in your garage or enter a battle on another veichle) then when it ends, you repair the tank, (if you want to use it again) only anks that dont need a repair are default/newbie tanks, so you can earn more money, there are tiers, im not going into detail with them but, you start with all tier 1 tanks, you go into battle with tier 1/2 tanks, when you earn more tanks, they have HIGHER tiers, it goes all the way up to 10 i think, you can ave tier 4 LIGHT, MEDIUM AND HEAVY TANKS (dont forget spg's aka artillery) I THINK the higher the tier, the more you damage high tiers (instead of tier 1 v 5) "That one bounced! that one didn't go through! WE DIDN'T PENETRATE THEIR ARMOR" etc, I will add more to this later.

-Mini
Hello there
[JiF]coreyric
Repeat Visitor

Post by [JiF]coreyric »

hey y'all,
I downloaded the game last night and just starting to play it. My screen name is coreyric. Will be adding all to contact lists.

Coreyric
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Good to hear we got another player. :D
You've got to get Team Speak too as it's most important. Mostly to hear Jimbo & I abusing each other :lol:
Seriously though it does help if you platoon up with others. We would also give you our advise on tank lines to choose & play our lower stuff with you to show you good places to hide & wait + tactics.
[JiF]coreyric
Repeat Visitor

Post by [JiF]coreyric »

sounds good ill download teamspeak tonight
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

As mentioned above, a good starting tank after Tier I is the Tier II US T2 Medium tank. It's fun to play and does very well in early battles. You need to earn both XPs and credits to keep upgrading and advancing, and you earn more of both when you do well on a map and your team wins. So it's good to have an XP/credits workhorse early in the game. Plus, it leads to the M4 and M4 derivatives later on, which are nice.

Another tank that is a blast to play is the new Panzer IC, but it plays very differently from other tanks in the game. If you get a platoon of 3 working together, they are like a pack of wild dogs, raising terror in the enemy's rear. Very fast, with a gun that fire 255 rounds/minute. So fast, in fact, we usually take out our own tracks by flying over slight rises and rocks.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Corey was telling me about the game last night. Sounds like I need to give it a try, I see there is an invite code option on the account creation page. Is that some kind of referral thing? Any rewards associated with it if someone gives me a code before I create an account?
ImageImage
[JiF]MiniBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]MiniBadger »

No I dont THINK so mike, but i'll be glad to show you around WoT ;)
Hello there
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]MiniBadger wrote:No I dont THINK so mike, but i'll be glad to show you around WoT ;)
Watch out, Mike. He has a knife. ;)
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

lol!

I created an account, installed the game, ran the tutorial, and got thoroughly confused in the garage. I'm finding that I like simpler games lately. I've got enough complicated stuff going on at work that I don't wanna think too hard when I play. :D
ImageImage
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

You can also add PFC_Doc and JiF_Grimp.

Grimp and Jimbo were able to figure it out so it cant be that bad :P
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

See Mike. The like button would be a great addition. thumbs up Doc!!! LOL
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

lol. I really want to get a like button! I've been looking at other forum software and vBulletin seems to be the best I've seen. Not free though! :roll:
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

good arty lesson here(4-5 of them).

its in russian but has english subtitles

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php? ... om-expert/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm --

From the Challaner 2 wikipedia page:

"Similar to every British tank since the Centurion, and most other British AFVs, Challenger 2 contains a boiling vessel (BV) also known as a kettle or bivvie for water which can be used to brew tea, produce other hot beverages and heat boil-in-the-bag meals contained in ration packs.[9] This BV requirement is general for armoured vehicles of the British Armed Forces, and is unique to the armed forces of the UK."

So that's why Gav moves so slow on the battlefield. He's trying not to spill his tea!

;D :lol:

-- Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am --

Good info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ML4oXjG6ag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mec ... ting_Range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 am --

learn this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5S8CrsUig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;