Any thoughts on the Radeon HD 7850 card?

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Any thoughts on the Radeon HD 7850 card?

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I'm thinking of upgrading my nVidia GTX 460 video card; it is still working fine and gave me no problems running BF3, but it is almost 2 years old and I still have some Xmas/birthday money burning in my pocket.

According to a website I often use, http://www.TomsHardware.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the Radeon HD 7850 is the best vaue for under $200. I've always bought nVidia up to now, but have no reason to pass up a good Radeon card.

Anyone have experience with this card? Would it make a difference to buy the 2 GB version vs the 1 GB one?
[JiF]hcpy
New User

Re: Any thoughts on the Radeon HD 7850 card?

Post by [JiF]hcpy »

Hi Stinky,

I've just installed a XFX 7850 with 2048 MB. (Win 7 64bit) Works fine, but it was a little bit tricky to use the correct aspect ratio with BF1942. You can't use a higher resolution than 1600 x 1200 with the latest Catalyst Version 13.1 to get the correct 4:3-aspect-ratio. That's not really a problem, but it cost me several hours to fix this. After this the punkbuster hassle was not a big deal...

hcpy
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

Post by [JiF] General WarHawk »

I've been using Radeon cards for awhile now, and report no problems, except for one thing. Which more than likely this probably doesn't affect you, but could.

Some cards are designed to, and only work on PCI-Express lanes with a 2.1 version of the Video card slot. I still own a brand new, never used XFX 5750 that wouldn't work on my PCI-X 2.0 slot. So if your not sure what your motherboard is running, and it's not 2-3 years young, then be aware of this problem.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

I don't know if this will work on your motherboard but when I built my pc in Dec, I put in a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit Video Card & love it. It's a bit pricy @ $359.99 after $20.00 rebate card from .newegg.com.
Just my two cents....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... MgodU14Agw
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

That's a bit out of my price range.

-- Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 am --

Picked up the card yesterday - $189 after rebates, and it came with 2 games (Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider). I'll probably install Saturday.
[JiF]Daterminaytah
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Daterminaytah »

hd7970 3gb memory working just fine here without a flaw ide get the card unc they are great for a 3monitor setup