US government warning about Java

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

US government warning about Java

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Wow, this looks pretty serious. I have disabled Java in my browser now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... -1B7938755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

Re: US government warning about Java

Post by [JiF] General WarHawk »

Darn it, I just updated Java too.

-- Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 pm --

Pretty easy to disable in Fire Fox.

Just go to Tools, then Add-Ons, and look for Java. Oddly enough Firefox already had a notification from an updated version I did yesterday letting me know that Java was screwed, so I just clicked Disable, and hopefully that's it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Only problem is that I disabled it, then tried to apply for a job online only to find I needed Java running to do it. :o
What to do? Take a punt on running it & only visit trusted sites would seem to be the simple solution, but that does seem to limit ones browsing activity.
Seems to be one of those damned if you do & damned if you don't situations ;(
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

I noticed a Java update. I have not installed it yet, but I'm hoping within the next month that they'll have a fix and let us know. Granted, they're usually better about telling us the bad new, and not so much about the good news.
[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

Yep security update came out last week, and seems to be the solution. I installed it and m still running Java. Still nobody who came up to my door and said" I m living here now and your nobody" :-)
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

A good place to go and check for updates is here: http://www.tweakguides.com/

He's excellent at keeping up to date on reporting updates and issues and I do a quick check everyday.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

Whenever I am forced to look closely at a piece of software through the lens of the news-media I get the chills. Windows, Office, Adobe Reader... all of them seem to have flaws that can be potentially exploited. When they become headlines even the smallest crack appears huge under the media microscope.

When Oracle released this current update "Java Runtime Environment 7 update 11" they admitted that it did not address two known zero-day exploits but they said that these issues were not overly serious due to the convoluted route required to access them. (ie. The PC operator would have to be trolling through weather sites for information on Tsunamis while simultaneously tapping the right mouse button to the tune of “God Save the Queen” and wearing boxer shorts with the same words embroidered on them.) When they explained this I felt relief and began to download the update. Then, that damn microscope reported that a hacker in Asia was auctioning working exploits for the remaining security holes.

Now, not only am I unsure of what to do about Java I apparently have to buy new boxer shorts.
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

Just wash the boxers, disable Java within Firefox (it's in the add-ons) section, and wait until update 12 or 13 comes along. I haven't bothered with update 11, as I thought that was a bit soon to address what was billed as a serious unfixable problem.