Old Computer

Speaks for itself
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

Old Computer

Post by [JiF] General WarHawk »

I'm thinking about building a new old man computer.

I want something I can play the games of Win95 on. Would have to be "old school" to some degree. Something that's been kicking around the house for awhile, but still works. I have some old Digital Workstations, but the drives for them are SCSI, and they were pretty bogged down before i gave up on them. Like to get something with PCI not ISA nor AGP, to be able to load Win95 on them. Yes, I know it's crazy, but I miss Railroad Tycoon, and Duke Nukem to name a few.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Re: Old Computer

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Get free virtual machine software and create a win 95 or 98 VM and run it on your current PC.
I have the install media if you need a copy.

If you really want a physical box:
I use a trash dump/recycling center that has an "electronics" area.
There are usually old PC's there that I pick over for parts.
I have found quite a few bootable boxes with old O/S's (and people's intact data!) on them.
If you want, i will keep an eye out for you and see what I come across.
All you would have to do is pay me for shipping

Make sure you don't ever connect such a box the the internet. You'd be hacked into in minutes!
Last edited by [JiF]Brick on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF] General WarHawk
Game Admin

Re: Old Computer

Post by [JiF] General WarHawk »

That's right. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Places are always having those dump things. Though I did end up getting a few things I wish I hadn't, like a big giant printer/fax I've never used.

I've tried those virtual machines and they don't do too well. I'm getting another HDD I saw on Ebay for 1.25 plus 7 for shipping. Its a 160GB, I think I can pare into several partitions and use in a dual boot set up.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.