GW2 Grades :)

[JiF]Gib
Forum User

GW2 Grades :)

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Ok I've been playing a little bit each night trying to figure out the game. Initial impressions are high, what a fantastic in-depth game. Like all MMO's its missing the standard fantasy dungeon features that DDO has BUT I find many positives about this game that should keep me interested. I especially like the Event system vs standard MMO quest hubs. You really have an incentive to do different and varied things and go to different areas on the map. IE there is a purpose for things, a method to the madness as it were.

Currently I feel overwhelmed with the learning curve because there is so much to figure out but that is ok and good because it shows the in-depth content of the game.

Goregeous graphics, Grade: A!

Love various enhancements over wow like auto deposit of collectables/craftables to your bank from your backpack and the auto condense button. One touch(f key) looting, and many others. So far I'd say B+/A- but Im sure I've not seen them all but what I've seen I like

I need to read up on crafting more but starting to get the hang of it. I like how you deconstruct items (dis-enchant) and the fact that every character can do this(this isnt your daddy's wow game :) ). Its cool to discover recipies and you get xp for it...and you get xp for crafting. Very nice, now that's a good reason to craft now even if your making something you wont use or sell! Nice job on that. It remains to be seen if grinding-crafting will be like wow or actually be useful. I am guessing from what I've seen, it will not be a grind and at least the XP gain from making 12 gloves of whatever will be not in vain to just get your crafting skill ups. Hated wow crafting, was just another grind but this looks good so far :thumbup: B+/A-

I see that combos are going to be the biggest learning curve for me as I am playing an Elementalist(Wizard). I just found out about these and apparently you cast an AOE spell that has Combo Field in its description and then use abilities that have Combo Finishers in their description. So I can cast some Ring of Fire (F1 key to make that my active aspect and hit the appropiate key) and then hit F3 key to go into Water aspect and hit the appropriate key to do AOE healing! Something like that anyway. So Wiards have funciton keys 1-4 for the 4 elements. 5 main attacks in each + 1 healing(6 key), and then utility and elite keys as you level up/unlock them(like other classes). So JUST using keys F1-F4 and the keys 1-5 thats 20 different spells I can cast already and Im only level 9! Damn Sam, that's good and bad because that is a lot of combinations to remember and the twitch training(muscle memory) to be able to do them efficiently. I am looking forward to it but that takes a metric ton of concentration on my part. I see many forum posts on the web saying they are the most challenging class to play. Now on top of that, all the skills for each element CHANGE depending on what weapon(s) your using. One set for Staff, one for dagger and focus, one for dual daggers?, one for scepter and dagger, and one for scepter and focus. Dont know if there is more or if that is right but thats 5 sets. 5 sets x 4 elements x 5 keys = holy hell batman my brain just exploded due to a massive aneurysm - I cant count that high!!! Ok so 100 different skills already! Now I have to memorize(muscle memory mind you, thats even harder...) what combos to do?!?!? Really? Really?

I'm holding off grading that because I need to pick up my pieces of gray matter off my monitor. I will have to check out guides or something. Like I said its nice to have alot of different things but is it too much? Time will tell.

Overall I am very impressed by GW2 and the cut scenes/roleplay(used loosley) is nice.

Gib

found a good line on Ele weapon choices/effects/styles so far: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/570 ... on-to-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by [JiF]Gib on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: GW2 Grades :)

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Gib hit the nail on the head about all the little things they have done in GW2 to make it easier, and less of a grind, to play. Two more examples:

There is no trading in the game between characters. Instead, you can mail someting to another character at any time, simply by right clicking on it in your inventory and choosing the Mail option. So if you make 5 rings to boost your Jewelry crafting skills, you can instantly send them to friends for their use.

Your shared bank vault is linked not only across characters but also across servers. It's linked to your account. This is huge. It means when I created a new character on Anvil Rock, she still had access to everything my characters in Blackgate had put in the bank.
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote: Your shared bank vault is linked not only across characters but also across servers. It's linked to your account. This is huge. It means when I created a new character on Anvil Rock, she still had access to everything my characters in Blackgate had put in the bank.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bank Vault is linked only throughout your characters in your account.

If you create a new character in Anvil Rock, it's because you choose the account to be in Anvil Rock.
It is a good idea if you could create an character to the specific servers, but it is not. :(

I know, I understand, it's a lot to take in this game, I am still currently learning how to play even though I've played GW2 for 2 months.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bank Vault is linked only throughout your characters in your account.
Um, isn't that what I just said? I have characters in both Anvil Rock and Blackgate under my account, and they all have access to the same shared bank vault. And I can play the characters on either server.
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote: I have characters in both Anvil Rock and Blackgate under my account. And I can play the characters on either server.
This is the part where you can not do.

It's either one or the other, you can't be on 2 servers. It's the account that is attached to the server, not the characters.

Your account is saved on Anet's data base, so you can transfer your account from the server you first choose to the next server you picked afterwards.
Last edited by [JiF]Axe34 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Gib mention the gorgeous graphics. Ahem, this is my Necromancer.

-- Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 pm --

Axe, you are absulutely correct. When I moved one character from Blackgate to Anvil Rock, they all moved. I could have sworn it said I could move only one, every 7 days.
Attachments
gw003.jpg