Canada comes to DC

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Canada comes to DC

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

One of the new developments in urban America is the rise of the Gourmet Food Truck. We have a bunch here in Washigton, DC, where i work, and I go there from time to try out the exotic fare.

Look at the menu below for one near me today. Sweet land o' goshen, they are serving poutine. You know I'm getting me a big bowl of it for lunch.
Attachments
IMG_5501c.jpg
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Re: Canada comes to DC

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

Make sure the poutine has Cheese Curds, that's the original recipe for Poutine... with
beef Gravy of course!

Enjoy eating!
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Damn, count me a disappointed Stinky. When I got to the truck, poutine wasn't on the menu. When I asked why, the lady replied, "No one ever ordered it."

Oh well, the falafel sandwich and Greek fries were good.
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

no one ever ordered it...bah...don't know what they are missing. And the menu said with cheese curds to.

Now this is a artery clogging meal...
Attachments
05poutine.jpg
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

It kind of looks like that dish the Klingons eat. :o

But I have had it before (in the fine city of Drummondville, Quebec no less) and it was delicious and of course very filling.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

I meant to try it on my recent trip to Canada, but the right opportunity never happened. I'm sure it will come to the US as it isn't healthy eating.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

This is on the menu everywhere here in Vancouver but it doesn't look appealing to me, I might give it a go though
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

Give it a try. As far as regional cuisine goes you can't go wrong (it's not monkey brains - but does look bad). Not sure if they will have this in Vancouver, but you should try a beaver tail, some sugar pie and of coarse any of our great Canadian beers (higher alcohol content)..
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

The only way we would eat poutine on the east coast was to cover it in brown vinegar and extra salt (sometime with a side of dressing). Of course we didn't know it was called poutine everywhere but on the rock. We called it "F,C & G" after the abbreviation the girl would write on the order pad at the fish and chips joint. It was what you would order if you didn't have enough money for a proper "Fish and Chips with gravy". If you saw someone eating it you would know that the silly bugger had blown all of his money at the pub and didn't save enough for the obligatory late night Fish and Chips like a proper drunken student. His lack of financial discipline declared him a fool and therefore his poutine was considered fair game by all within reaching distance and who would vulture his snack without mercy.

Hot gravy covered melted cheese is a formidable weapon when in the hands of a hungry, inebriated, impoverished student and often the fool would strike back preferring to beat off his friends with gobs of hot sticky cheese and gravy then to lose it to the circling mob. Note: Fries were never thrown - they lack the weight and aerodynamics to make effective weapons. Fries are also tasty. In the hands of a drunken fraternity hot cheese and gravy is consider a WMD (Weapon of Mad Drunks) and is forbidden under the Geneva convention.

Many a night a student staggered home broke, smelling of beer and cider vinegar, sporting large red welts and strings of cheese on his face. Not that it ever happened to me. Naturally we only consumed poutine when drinking - which ruled it out as a breakfast food - except on weekends.

Before you ask - I have no idea how I have lived as long as I have.
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger wrote:Before you ask - I have no idea how I have lived as long as I have.
Amen, Brother!
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.