Guild Wars 2 - release date is August 28

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Guild Wars 2 - release date is August 28

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Anyone thinking of getting GW2 when it comes out? It's a MMORPG with no on-line subscription fee. The trailers look pretty good.

Might be a good place to go once Diablo III/BF3 fatigue sets in. I'll probably get it, and post whichever server i join so we can get a JiF group going. I'm thinking of starting with a Norn Ranger. Gotta have pets!

Here's a link that has some good background info and trailers.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Re: Guild Wars 2 - release date is August 28

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I might, have to see if its just another MMO/Wow clone or if it's going to be the 2nd DDO clone.

If its a wow clone, probably not, have to see what new features over wow it would have to differentiate it self from the 100's out there.

If it were a REAL RPG like DDO with all classes needed(thief to find/disable traps and locks for example) and had secret doors, tricks, riddles, traps, and all the other stuff that is core to an rpg then hell ya!

I did a little digging and looks like it wont be what I am looking for but I will check out the reviews once out and what features it has. It's funny in the GW2 forums people are looking for this, the other half grief post saying that requireing a thief/rogue to be in a party to get past obstacles would wreck the game. Completely disagree, at least you would now have Tank/Healer/DPS/Rogue for the basic foundation. Works for DDO, works for any other MMO. You can tell the younger generation playing MMO's have not played real pen and paper tabletop RPGS when they make that statement that it would wreck the game. lol.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

I supppose it all depends on your expectations.

But if you want to get back into class-based dungeon delving, there's already a game out there for it: DDO! Maybe you, me and Gav should get the band back together.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I'd be up for doing a bit of the old DDO again sometime. Strap on the fancy armour & stride out to do battle.
It's the dressing up bit I liked the best :lol:
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

I've got lots to say about Guild wars 2, since I've played the GW2 betas 5 times. :D

I'm just gonna copy and paste. In the future, I will add more...

From Jif's Steam Group
"Join the "BLACKGATE" server. ( 16 different American servers to choose from)
So Jiffers can play togather on the same PvE, PvP and WvWvW area (server).

Spread the "BLACKGATE" news to your friends and families, so we can
have fun togather on the same server, just for fun! ;)"

Please ask a lot of questions, I've played the first Game "Guild Wars", (some of you have too) for 6 years. Guild Wars 2 is a total different game from GW1.
GW2 is a MMO base game, but it's a evolutionary MMO game. It's not a WoW clone game, which is great, because i'm not a MMO fan and I hate WoW. (due to pay to play)

I'm a fan of the Guild Wars story Lore... my interest peak is high for this game ;)

Please ask away, my answers will be in point form. ;)
Last edited by [JiF]Axe34 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Thanks for the info about the Crystal Desert server. As I recall, GW1 allowed you to hire companions for help with quests when playing solo - will that still be there? In DDO that is a huge benefit. E.g., you could play a fighter and then hire a healer for support.
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

Np, Stinky.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote: As I recall, GW1 allowed you to hire companions for help with quests when playing solo - will that still be there? In DDO that is a huge benefit. E.g., you could play a fighter and then hire a healer for support.
GW1, had 3 to 7 henchmens NPC you could choose to accompany with you ( the beginning of the game they provide you with 3 out of 6 members, and when you progress the game, they allow you 4 - 7 henchmen members) a total of 8 group members including yourself.
Now GW1 introduced "heroes" on their 2nd GW1 expansion game. Hero's acts like Henchmen NPC, the difference; you can modify the skills on their bar and take them anywhere in the world of Guild wars.
(Im trying to keep my post in point form, but it's a vague to explain how Henchmen and Hero's work)

Back to GUILD WARS 2.
I haven't played DDO or any MMO games but Guild Wars. So I won't be able to compare. (accept for DC Universe Online for the past month, it's free and im waiting for GW2)
As of right now, the company Anet has not added the companions to GW2. They didn't implement the feature, but I am sure if the Guild Wars community demands for them, they will in further expansions. ( Anet is that awesome)

GW2 is a Massively Multiplayer Online, majority of people will join you because Anet has given benefit to their participation to events/battles, and how much they contribute they recieve their own loot, exp and prizes. (there's no stealing loots)
If you do end up playing by yourself, you will have a self heal skill or more if you add them. Since I played 5 GW2 beta's I had no issues fighting alone with the 5 professions that i've tried. As long as you stay at the level area you belong.

Watch the dragon's "Champion" video. Remember it's not a dragon. The main dragons in GW2 are called "Elder Dragons" and they are suppose to be 100x bigger than this Dragon's Champion.

Watch youtube on HD and full screen
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBAQiIesrGg&feature=plcp[/video]
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Are there skill tests and actual rpg elemements like in DDO where you can search and find secret doors, traps, locked chests and doors to pick, pick pocketing...etc.

DDO quest are not like wow(clones) where you go here and kill 12 goblins and then return, they are more like real rpg adventures where you have a number of differnt objectives to complete.

Like in single player rpgs of yore, I just wish climbing walls, decipher script, and many other skills were in todays MMO's.

So are there locked doors and chests needing picking in GW2? traps to be found and disabled? People to bullshit/intimidate/persuade? Riddles? Tricks? You know, core rpg elements like that.

I do like DDO and we need to get back there. Just love the graphics and open world of wow, wish the graphics were better but the game play owns wow and its clones ;)
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

As I've mentioned on my post above; I haven't played DDO or any MMO games but the first Guild Wars game. So I won't be able to compare to any, accept for DC Universe Online for this past month.
Gib wrote:Are there skill tests and actual rpg elemements like in DDO where you can search and find secret doors, traps, locked chests and doors to pick, pick pocketing...etc.
Guild Wars 2 has some RPG element, but not like the traditional Single player RPG like for an example "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II" in the year 2005. (that I've played)
GW2 has some puzzles in the open world eg. Hidden chests, jumping puzzles, finding easter eggs from the first Guild Wars 1 game, discoveries of the unknown. The world is huge to explore, and you get rewards for finding them.
Crafting;
You can be a chef, Cook (discover recipes) to make consumables.
Armorsmith, Artificer, Huntsman, Jeweler, Leatherworker, Tailor, and Weaponsmith to make weapons, armor and/or items.

I can't compare GW2 with DDO, because i have Zero knowledge of the DDO game.
DDO quest are not like wow(clones) where you go here and kill 12 goblins and then return, they are more like real rpg adventures where you have a number of differnt objectives to complete.
Same as GW2, it's not a clone either.

GW2 has objectives/ MMO quests that falls on your lap sort of speak, either you do them or ignore them as you walk by. (there's no clicking to activate the quest, you automaticly recieve rewards when you complete the quests)

Then there's the main quest "Personal Story" which you as the character, making a difference in the World depending on the choice you make in the game. Each path you take leads you to a different story. You do it alone or your friends can join with you on the adventure and watch your story unfolds but he/she cannot distrupt your storyline or change your choice. They can only assist you in battle.
Like in single player rpgs of yore, I just wish climbing walls, decipher script, and many other skills were in todays MMO's.

So are there locked doors and chests needing picking in GW2? traps to be found and disabled? People to bullshit/intimidate/persuade? Riddles? Tricks? You know, core rpg elements like that.
GW2 is a MMO game not a RPG. So answer is no
You do have a "choose your adventure" element with different outcome, depending on the choice of your personal story. If you want to change the choice you have made, you would have to create another character and select another path, but it's gonna be difficult to recreate the same storyline since your choice branches out like a tree.

Guild Wars 2 is heavy on the Story. That's what's interesting about it. Guild Wars lore is just... unique and different in some aspects not like the traditional fantasies.
Yes, they do have Dragons and humans. No Elves, dwarfs are a dying race (would have to read wiki or play GW1 or GW2)...
I can go on.

Next question :)
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Thanks for the info Axe!
[JiF]Axe34
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Axe34 »

. Deleted to new Thread