Battlefield 3: Armored Kill

[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Re: Battlefield 3: Armored Kill

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

They screwed with the weapons again. Full details here:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... 571482527/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of note:

• A number of weapons have had their reload timers adjusted to better fit their animations and gameplay balance. For most of these weapons the gameplay timers were slightly out of sync with the actual reload animation, meaning the player could either fire before the animation was done, or had to wait longer than the animation played. Primarily this is a cosmetic change (around 0.1sec); however for a few weapons (M416, F2000, FAMAS, KH2002, MK3A1, JNG90, MG36 QBU-88, SVD, Pecheneg, SCAR-H, AN-94) this should also improve the performance of the weapon. 

• M93: Reduced the M93R’s damage and range, as it was an obvious go to pistol compared to the M9/MP443. Its recoil has been reduced for a smoother burst action to counter the reduced damage.
• A select set of weapons have had their recoil adjusted based on joint community feedback and statistical analysis to provide greater balance in the weapon choices players make. Specifically, the M16A3 and M4A1 have increased recoil to make them less attractive in all situations. Competing weapons like the SG553, G36C and M416 have been improved to also increase viable player choice in primary weapons.

• FIM92 and IGLA now lock on to air vehicles at both lower altitudes and longer distances.
 (Finally!!!)
Removed flares from gunner position in helicopters. With the right combination of unlocks, an attack helicopter could be effectively invulnerable to lock on missiles. Removing the flares from the gunner balances the attack helicopter against ground fire.

• The Laser Designator unlock on the Scout Helicopters has been changed from a Pilot Upgrade to a new stance in the Copilot seat, position 4. Like the CITV turret on the Main Battle Tanks, the Scout Helicopter’s Laser Designator is permanently available to players who have received the unlock.

• Changed reload behavior on Tank / Tank Destroyer cannon weapons to prevent being able to fire 2 shots from different weapons quickly one right after another.
 (this was my bread & butter...dang it.)
• Increased the damage helicopter and jet rockets do to helicopters, jets and infantry.

• Increased the damage helicopter gunners and IFVs do to helicopters and jets.

• Gun Master and Domination Winner ribbons and medals added.

-- Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 pm --

First Impressions…

They definitely monkeyed with the guns. My go-to guns all behave differently. I'm in the process of trying out new guns now. Finding that the burst weapons are better over the long distances of these maps. Suppression matters not so much here.

Speaking of maps, holy cow are they HUGE. I know they knock down the sizes of the maps on consoles (we generally have between 4-6 less capturable flags than you PC boys do on any given map) but these things are still enormous. I believe i got to play every map at least once. There's some cool variety and one of them reminds me of one of the maps from the old CMM that had hedgerows and roads in open fields.

There's a few new vehicle types, but 2 specifically for shooting. One is a tank destroyer, which appears to be a giant gun that rolls on 8 truck tires. Best bet is to drive this thing up to flags and capture them for quick points to level it up. They don't match up so well with infantry armed with RPGs at their base levels.

The other is mobile artillery, which reminds me exactly of the old Russian rocket truck from 1942. It's about as useful, too. My brief 30 seconds in it were cut short by a tank killing me in basically one shot. The later unlocks appear to give it anti-aircraft abilities, which should increase its utility.

There are planes and helos, but not as many as I thought there would be. Again, probably a console thing. I just wanted to see Little Birds and Apaches all over the place. Looks like you only get one of each on any given map. The balance thing they did by taking away the laser painter for Little Bird appears to be a good thing, as it's not a one-man wrecking ball anymore. They reset all the loadouts for the vehicles so you'll probably have to go in and put those back the way you want them.

I got some very brief time in the gunship. There's 2 seats… one for a gunner and one for artillery. You have to lead vehicles a bit to get a hit but I was able to disable a few vehicles before we got shot down. The gunships seem to go down pretty easily.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer as best I can or try stuff out tonight when I'm on.
[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

Armored kill is awesome lol I like the atvs and ac-130 lol
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

So I have managed to get some game time the last few days after coming home from canada, the new maps are pretty cool as is the new Tank Superiority mode although I have yet to get a real grasp on rthe good postitions and the Tank destroyer (which is an LAV with a BIG A$$ Abrams gun) is somewhat difficult to control, it doesn't stop when you release the drive button and slides around a lot on the snow/ice maps.

The ATVs are a good addition for capping flags and getting into a shooting position to combat armour. Weirdly they seem to offer some protection - twice I have taken direct hits from a tank and survived.

I have had a few stints in the AC-130, mostly I see an empty seat and jump in only to realise the others had bailed as it is about to crash or there are incoming missiles. I did manage to jump into it when it spawned though and had a decent run, switching between weapons and smashed a few vehicles and got a coupla kills too. there are 2 weapon seats - a 105mm cannon with night vision permanently enabled and a 25mm cannon like you get in the Viper - however you can switch from both of these seats to an AA position - there are two miniguns with 360* turrets on the top of the gunship. The barrels do depress slightly but you are pretty vulnerable to an attack from below - would be better with one belly turret and one dorsal. it takes about 6 or 7 AAM hits to destroy the gunship but a new one will spawn pretty soon.

The biggest danger is from mobile AA as they have guns and missiles and can mess you up pretty quickly you need to coordinate with both gunners to take it out ASAP. it also helps if you have a good airborne component to your team who can keep the enemy planes/choppers off your tail.

you can always spawn a paradrop from the gunship but this is only useful if the plane is in a good postition as you spawn immediately from wherever it is - even if out of bounds.

No real point in complaining about the weapon *ahem* fixes that DICE have graced us with/imposed on us as they do it all the time with the updates for no apparent reason. I did wonder what had happened to some of my fav weapons as they were behaving oddly - It might be a console thing but a number of the reload animations don't work for me at all (RPG, P90, ASVal) and it is off putting because you are waiting to shoot but don't realise you can - till you get shot and see that the mag was full all along. I hate that they have nerfed the 93R ad I had grown to like this gun but now it is almost as bad as the G-17 which is like an airsoft gun.

The only things that I am pleased about in the 'fix' are that they have increased the range of the SAM lockl-on. This was poor to begin with and they reduced it in the previous update so it is nice to have it back. The other thing is that Chopper rockets can now kill by splash damage - the amount of times I have emptied a rocket pod at a lone soldier and barely scratched him is so frustrating. I remember once I bailed just so I could shoot the guy with a real gun!

last night I got my first repair tool kill - not that I have been trying before but I realised that this was holding up my assignment advancement - the good thing about DICE messing withteh guns is that it kinda forces you out of your comfort zone to try different guns and add-on combos - at the moment I am using an engineer with the AWCR + Holo + Laser and M9 Tact with RPG and repair tool as my main load out.
But I did play some time with the support class using the L86 + M9 + C4 on Donya fortress - I ended teh round with 74 - 42 KDR mainly because the other side were operating as squads so my C4 ambushes were killing multiples each time - I did try to avoid using c4 at the flags but sometimes...
(a handy hint is to throw a nade at a flag before attacking to detonate any C4 - an even handier hint is to place your C4 high up on the walls/pillars as this way it won't be detonanted by a nade MWAHAHHAHAAA)

P.S. yes, I am bored at work!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

I mostly try to use Mobil aa , I just find a good spot where you can hardly tell I am there and watch the skys