Migrating Windows 7 HDD to SSD

Speaks for itself
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Migrating Windows 7 HDD to SSD

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

I'd like to migrate over a traditional HDD with Win 7 to an SSD without having to reinstall the OS and all the programs. I found one interesting program, http://www.paragon-software.com/technol ... OS-to-SSD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but was wondering if there are any others out there to try?

I've also heard the Win 7 image restore may also work, anyone have luck with that?
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: Migrating Windows 7 HDD to SSD

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I just went through this same thing 2 weeks ago. In the end I just decided to reinstall from scratch. :roll: I didn't want to deal with resizing partitions and going through files. It didn't take me too long, and I have a nice clean install again. 8) I think it was easier to just reinstall, but that's me. lol
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

2 sysadmins here said to use CloneZilla its freeware. One guy said he keeps a fully patched win 7 with all drivers and whatnot cloned off to an external usb drive and refreshes his system now and then(and or updates the clone).
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Not sure CloneZilla would work, it seems they may have issues going from a larger size hdd to a smaller ssd but would be good if you already have an SSD. Not a biggie though, my wife wasn't too keen on me messing with her laptop to install the ssd, so I'm just going to let it be.

On the other hand, I am using EasyUS to clone a hdd to another hdd. I'm putting together a system for my mom (basically revamping my old system) and did a clean install of XP. Set up the programs that she likes to use and then clone that drive right then and there. I'll install but not connect the drive and if anything goes wrong with the first hard drive, will only need to unplug it and plug in the spare installed right next to it. So far EasyUS is pretty easy to use. Create a bootable CD and then just pick the source and destination drive. It is a bit slow copying, about 1 gb/min as I'm going through a USB2 connection but at least this way I don't have to deal with all the reloading of the OS, programs, etc...
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

I cloned a system last week to a smaller dirve using Filezilla and Gparted http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to ... ler-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It was a case of replacing a failing HD for a neighbor on a machine that I had just reinstalled for him.

Personally I would probably fresh install. It feels good like clean underwear :)
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Well clonezilla didn't work for me. that or something was wrong with the harddrive. Not to mention it took nearly an hour to do as well, granted I wasn't actually having to click, "ok" reboot now, "ok" to this update and that update.