How do you guys play like this

A place to talk about XBox Console games in general
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

How do you guys play like this

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

I have been a devout PC player for 20+ years. I have delved into the early consoles (sega, original NES) and have a WII at home for the kids but I have always preferred PC gaming. With that said, I borrowed my brothers xbox 360 (he likes his PS3) and a couple of his games. I tried out CoD:Black Ops (I know, I know) and I must say I can't see how you guys do it. Playing against the bots I got my ass kicked. I could not get the hang of the damn controller. Running, shooting, looking down the iron sights and jumping was horrible. I don't know how you guys do it. I now have a little more respect for those CoD video's I see on you tube. Still don't like the game and will take my BF3 anyday. I like my mouse and keyboard, it just seems more natural.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: How do you guys play like this

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I agree. The mouse and keyboard are much better! I have a number of family members and friends that play on consoles only though. So I occasionally try to play. I feel like such a noob when I do. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I was having enough trouble with mouse & keyboard last night! I was thinking of changing my tag to [JiF]Swiss Cheese :shoot:
I'm sure I use way more buttons than you have on a controller, how on earth do they cope?
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Swiss cheese? I'm afraid we're fresh out, sir.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0[/video]
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

[JiF]phantomx wrote:I have been a devout PC player for 20+ years. I have delved into the early consoles (sega, original NES) and have a WII at home for the kids but I have always preferred PC gaming. With that said, I borrowed my brothers xbox 360 (he likes his PS3) and a couple of his games. I tried out CoD:Black Ops (I know, I know) and I must say I can't see how you guys do it. Playing against the bots I got my ass kicked. I could not get the hang of the damn controller. Running, shooting, looking down the iron sights and jumping was horrible. I don't know how you guys do it. I now have a little more respect for those CoD video's I see on you tube. Still don't like the game and will take my BF3 anyday. I like my mouse and keyboard, it just seems more natural.
You do get the hang of it overtime. Buick and I played COD:Black Ops for a couple/few weeks in a row together (many, many months ago now) and after a while you do adapt. I have to agree the controller is much less accurate, and more aggravating. There's a lot of auto-aim assist in these games, and much of it is just being able to adapt to each game's auto-assists and how to position yourself in given environments.

Other than that, the tactics remain the same between games. (Though the effective tactics between CoD and BF3 vary drastically)
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I use a PS3 and the few times I have played on an XBox I have just been murdered.
The PS3 controller is much more straight forward and symmetrical

Whilst the XBox controller is a riot of colour and different shapes and sizes - much more like a kids toy

But like Rhykin says - you get used to it the more you play
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula