Iron Front: Liberation 1944 . Settings and adjustments

[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Iron Front: Liberation 1944 . Settings and adjustments

Post by [JiF]Doc »

Heres a guide to tweak some of the ingame settings. These are just recommendations but should make the game feel more like a traditional shooter.

All of these settings can be found in the "Options" menu on the main screen.

First up is the video settings. A few adjustments to improve visibility and performance. Once you have selected the "Options" menu select "Video Options"

1. Adjusting the resolution
This may seem basic to most of us but Iron Front, like Arma 2, has 2 resolution settings. Interface resolution, and 3D resolution. To improve clarity and performance make sure both match your desired resolution. By default the 3D resolution is set to something other than the interface resolution.

2. Anti-Aliasing
I strongly recommend disabling anti-aliasing completely. Due to the scale of the maps this greatly effects performance. Disabling anti-aliasing will improve the games overall performance.

3. Post Processing Effects
The post processing effect creates a "blur" or fuzzyness to the screen. While it may look nice in some scenarios it effects your ability to identify targets quickly. This also has a significant effect on game performance. Personaly I think the effect is to strong and unrealistic so I recommed disabling the effect or using it on low. Running it on low still gives you the effect but at a greater distance. Below are 2 pictures to compare. First on very high, second on low. I prefer to leave it on low, it gives a nice glow in the distance from light but does not impair your vision.

Now we move on to the mouse controls. By defualt the horizontal mouse movement is faster than the vertical movement. This makes the game feel clunky and different from most shooters.

1. Mouse movment
To adjust the mouse movement you need to first select the "Options" menu. Then select the "Controls" menu. You should now see the mouse settings on the right side of the window. To make the mosue movement equal, the Y axis (Vertical movment) needs to be faster than the horizontal. I recommend starting with the settings I use and adjusting from there. What you need to do is click the left arrow next to the x axis and y axis bar until all the white is gone. Then click the right arrow next to the x axis bar 2 times, and click the right arrow next to the y axis 5 times. It should look like the picture below.

If you would like to adjust the sensitivity higher or lower just remeber to keep the same ration between the x and y axis to maintain an even mouse movement. Also I would turn down the mouse smoothing all the way, by defualt it should be off (all the way to the left).

Next you will want to go back into the "Options" menu and select "Game Options"

1. Adjusting head bob
I believe the default head bob movement is also a bit unrealstic and makes it harder to control you character. I recommend turning the head bob off (clicking the left arrow), then clicking the right arrow 3 times to turn some of it on. This gives you much more control but does not take the effect completely away. Picture below for reference.

[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: Iron Front: Liberation 1944 . Settings and adjustments

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Just come down stairs and set mine again, thank you :)
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Now I know why I didn't get on with the Arma 2 demo I had.
All that blurring & bobbing really gave it a terrible feel.
Maybe I try a demo again adjusting the settings. Then learn the keyboard map again.
Or shall I just stick to BF3?
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Like Arma 2, this game is an acquired taste. It is most fun when you can get a bunch of guys playing together on a coop map.

Last night Doc and I were not doing too well against the German bots. The panzerfausts were flying, knocking us out each time we brought up an SU-87. Actually, Doc had a bunch of kill using the tripod MG and I kept getting picked off as a sniper.

I'm thinking we need to be working togther in the tanks, one guy driving, the other guy spotting/shooting.

The bots do seem to show some good tactics. They kept outflanking our flag positions last night.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Okay I put in a little bit of time and I am starting to have fun. Can't wait until I get it the game with a group.
I have to say even though the visuals are not great the tanks are very cool. Slow moving, slow to load and a lot of fun. Really do need a tank crew though to make the most of it and maybe a guy following you around with the ammo truck :)
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Um, I do NOT volunteer to the the guy driving the (soft-skinned) ammo truck intro battle!
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Ya, you don't get anywhere near the battle before getting picked off and you can NEVER make it back to the truck :)
It's a rotten job :)
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Found these settings help it load a bit quicker.

-maxmem=2048 -nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -malloc=system

maxmen should be half your RAM. 1GIG = 1024. I have 4 GIG so mine is set to 2048.
Also the -malloc=system is better for Windows 7 from what I read. If you don't have Windows 7 I would leave it out or find a better setting than system for you OS.