BF3 server and CQ

[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

BF3 server and CQ

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

What is every bodies opinion for the JiF server when it comes to Close Quarters (CQ). I have not heard yet if we will have the option to run these maps in the standard rotation or if a new server needs to run. But my initial review of the "pre-release" docs indicate that the CQ maps are designed for up to 16 players. The map modes for CQ are...

Team Deathmatch
Domination (not sure what this is)
Gun Master (like "gun game" from Counter Strike)
Squad Deathmatch

It doesn't look like any other modes will be supported.

so if it is included with our server, do you guys want me to add it to the rotation?
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: BF3 server and CQ

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I think we'll need to play them a bit before deciding. Maybe we could run them all, mixed in with other maps, for a week or so and then decide. But Team Deathmatch is likely a no-go, no matter what.

I imagine a lot of people will be look for CQ maps when it comes out.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

why for you no like TDM?

I love it - probably my fave mode tbh

Although it sucks when your team is rubbish - I played a round last night and finished 3rd on my team with 38/20 KDR. I looked closely at the scoreboard I was the ONLY person on my side with a positive KDR, even the guy who finished 1st had 49/49 whilst the other member of my squad was the worst with 11/61 (11 for 61 - if that was me I would sell the game and start playing this!!)
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

Hey hey hey! As one of those players with a less than stellar showing on TDM servers, I take exception to being called out for sucking. A good squad helps for sure, as well as knowing when to say when and stop trying to retaliate against someone who is killing you repeatedly.

Now with all the new assignments, I'm going to have a really bad KDR again from having to use guns I don't normally.

FWIW, I played both modes last nite. Domination mode reminded me of Unreal Tournament where you just run around with no strategy and kill kill kill. You cap flags quickly and grab ribbons by the fistful. Gun Master was a blast - you start out with a pistol and every two kills rank up to a new gun. Last man alive has to get a knife kill to win. The new maps are beautiful.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Oh you young console boys. Next you'll be telling us you really like COD!! :lol:
Us PC chaps are old school purists. We still enjoy the battling for flags of conquest mode which comes from our BF42 upbringing.
You should hear the groans if we are on a server & TDM or SDM comes up. It's time to get a drink or have a smoke ;D
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Or both Gav! ;)

Death Match sucks to me because it COD style of play... find some good position and camp. Been through enough maps where that's what most people do and its so boring.

Sometimes, rarely for me, I find it fun when people are not doing the above.

I am interested in the Domination mode, guess well have to see what that is.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I think we were all on a TD map recently where everyone did just as Gib said - they hid and waited. And as I recall it was a high ticket server.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

BUT I seem to recall that BF42 also had an under-utilised TDM mode. I remember the first time I played BF42 CTF on Kharkov - what a blast stealing the flag and racing like **** (expletive deleted) around the top of the map in a jeep desperately trying to avoid getting blown up by the Stuka

Then someone took the radical and never before seen step of loading TDM Berlin - that was a FUN night on the pot luck.

TBH I would not have described myself as a fan of that mode till I had to play some SqDM to get the assignment.
I kinda fell out of love with CNQ when I got BFBC2 and played Rush but now I like all modes (cos I'm just that kinda guy)

Trog - you weren't on my crappy team last night - I wasn't generalising, I joined the game when the enemy had 134 kills and we had 68 - the target was 200 and somehow I managed to finish 3rd on my team.

I get what you mean about camping but I have found this almost impossible given the destructibility of buildings and the kill cam - I really enjoy hunting down campers and stabbing them in the neck!

but seriously, you cannot camp for a whole map owing to the random spawn points - Lots of times I have found a great spot to hang out and some dude just appears behind me and *SPLAT* my guts are on the floor
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

I like the TDM for unlocking the gadgets for the new guns. lately though I have been playing it (when non-JiF'ers are not online) to unlock the new assignments. Noshar is great for this. I have one server in particular I go to and it's pretty good.

Trog, how did you get to play CQ. I didnt think it was officially released
[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

Funny you should ask. I figured after downloading the 1.3gb game update on Monday, I would already have CQ. Was immensely frustrating to try and find available servers and not see any. Turns out, you still have to go into the store and download the expansion separately.

I only got to play 3 of the 4 new maps last night. Operation 925 (a word play on an office setting... say the numbers out loud) was very cool and the place was totally torn up by the end of our game. Especially fun to see a guy light up on radar from shooting in the other room and just aim at the unfinished drywall between you and him and unload a full clip and take him down. The other one that was really cool was an old steel factory that has ramps you can travel between two buildings. Lots of nice detail that made it feel very real. I didn't much care for the horseshoe-shaped villa. It's much too small for 16 players. That was a total frag fest where you were lucky to get a single kill before being gunned down from behind. Ugh.
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

looks like us PC players gotta wait. it's only available for consoles now. I think next week we should be able to play
[JiF]bigjohnson
Forum User

Post by [JiF]bigjohnson »

I just read that I have to re download CQ to make it work. hopefully 2nite. warning... if you see me on and doing stupid stuff, it may be my 9 year old son... if I am doing amazingly well and p0wning everyone... it's probably my 12 year old daughter. But more than likely it's just me because she's the COD expert.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

The only issue I would see is if the server is full and we are on a 32 player map and switch to the CQ maps, then half the players on the map will be kicked since there is a max of 16 players. Then when there is a switch to the regular maps off the CQ's, the server will be half empty, or if you are an optimist, half full...
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

OK so having played last night it would seem that the best thing is to run the server with the new maps on a 16 player basis. Any more than that & it would get out of hand. I did notice some servers running them with 32 & 64 players, but given the tight nature of the environment everyone must have been falling over each other.
I assume that it is possible to play each mode on any of the maps.
The server we all played on last night was purely running Gun Master & Domination (I think we did 2 Dominations then 1 Gun Master & then another 2 Dom's & 1 GM & so on)
I think that it would be good to throw in the Death Match modes as well. This means that there is a mode where you don't have to keep running around all the time & could just find a good spot & wait.
It would be good if we could get our server running the new maps only for a while as it seems to be what everyone is playing so should be easy to fill. This would also mean that you don't get kicked off another server to make way for their own friends.
I don't have a personal preference of which modes on what maps, not really sure it makes much difference as they are all designed for the same close quarter combat style.
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

I have some time tonight to finally play some BF3. I will set up the server for a little while with the new maps. We have the ability to go up to 48 players, but I agree from what I have seen and read that 16 is the max number of players for these maps. I will change the maps today so we can enjoy it tonight...

You guys want HC or normal modes?

-- Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 am --

Ok, for our initial setup...here is what I have set. Let me know what you think and I can change as you guys like. I have not had a chance to play any of the maps or modes, so I just randomly picked a few...

Operation 925 GunMaster
Scrapmetal Team Death Match
Donya Fortress Domination
Ziba Tower Team Death Match
Operation 925 Domination
Scrapmetal GunMaster
Donya Fortress Squad Death Match
Ziba Tower Domination