Chevy Volt

Speaks for itself
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: Chevy Volt

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

OH, it has to be relatively easy to get in and out of and as tall as possible for an econo-box. I can't do the ground huggers. I want a hollowed out box with a 25HP Briggs and Stratton engine :)
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

The Volt is a Hatchback ya know. :) Just saying lol.
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

My Wife got a Rav4 a few months ago, pretty good prices and lot's of storage. She loves it. It has the same engine my Camry does so pretty good mileage/reliability too. It's great in the snow.
ImageImage
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

To hijack the link a little.
We do not have a kia but we have two Hyundias which is the sister company to Kia.
Before we bought our first one I looked all over. I spent a couple months looking at different cars.
There were a couple things that kept bringing me back to the hyundias. The base features were what most other companies considered upgrades but the main reason was the 100,000 10 year warrenty. The only thing that was not covered under that warrenty was the power motors for the windows and the radio. For like 200.00 more I upgraded the warrenty to the 10 yr 100,000 bumper to bumper. Covers everything other than belts, tires, wipers things like that.
I had a radiator hose go bad three weeks ago, they even replaced that at no charge.

It might be the dealer I bought it from but they have taken care of things that I could not believe would be covered under that warrenty. I was in a hurry a while back and when I got out I twisted the seatbelt so it did not wind back up correctly. When I closed the door the belt latch tore a HUGE chunk out of the arm rest on the door. I took it in to have it fixed figuring it was going to cost me big time. The shop boss took a look at it and told me the belt was not suppose to twist like that so he fixed it under warrenty. It was almost a 700.00 door replacement!

Thankfully I have not had to use the warrenty a lot but when I have it has been no hassle and always easy.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

I think I am ignoring you about the Volt, but keep us informed on how it goes. I sooo want one :mrgreen: You have a fire extinguisher :evil:
I have looked at a RAV. It's like the Corolla of small SUVs I think. My X-Boss has had two and I use to tell him it was a girls SUV. I don't dislike it, but it is about as exciting as a Corolla and a bit too much money for us. I know what you are thinking how can a Yaris be exciting?
Well put 8" of snow on Interstate 495 and drive it around 40 -50 miles per hour. It's very exciting :) Did I mention the 2012 Yaris has one front wiper? It's an odd little car, which is why I probably am drawn to it.
I remember pulling up at a convenience store in my tiny Geo. You didn't see to many Metro versions around. Three rather large construction workers got out of a truck and one of them looked at me getting out and said "WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING!?". I said 3 cylinders and 45 MPG of pure fear. One of the other guys said of his friend "Don't mind him". I think he was trying to make me feel better. I already felt fine ;)
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Good to know Top. I would not worry as I hijacked the thread a long time back, but it is about getting a new car. All related :)
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

lol! It's funny you say the Rav4 is a "girls" SUV, cause that's how I feel too. I just wasn't going to say anything about that. :lol:

I just went to the Yaris site to check it out. I can see why you would like, even the site is strange. :P
ImageImage
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Well he use to make fun of mini-vans, but when we went out to lunch or geocaching guess which vehicle we took most of the time.
I really have nothing against the RAV though. I am sure it's a great little girls SUV ;)
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

[JiF][AARP]Grimp

UK Gas Prices

I though about why gas prices in the UK are so much more than in the USA.
I though about it long and hard. It hit me that it is a simple question of volume sales.
UK size vs AU and USA.

So you have to go get some oil in the middle east. Take it to the USA to get it turned into gas then ship it to the UK.
Now the UK being relatively small how much gas do they actually use? I mean a gallon or two will take you across the whole country and they have the Underground. There is also a relatively nice train that goes from Portsmouth to London. At least it was in 1976.
So to make up for that cost of making it and transporting it they have to charge a lot more. My recommendation to Gav is to use more gas.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

We have the Honda hybrid Prius, we have a Lexus, ummm oh yes Renault have a range of electric but it's the price of them that kills it.
I know you are going to save on the gas, but the upfront price of buying one in the first place. :razz:
Good example is the small Renault Zoe being released later this year $21,600 to buy new & then about $110 a month to "hire" the battery.
I don't think so somehow. I'm just going to go on polluting the atmosphere & paying heavily for the pleasure.
Grimp, you are quite right about the Rav4. A mate of mine calls it a hairdressers car. Landlady of the pub drives one. Wouldn't start Saturday, nothing to do with the fact that she only ever drives about 10 miles in one journey maximum. Pretty unheard of though for a Toyota to be unreliable. Got to hand it to them they make good cars.
A small aside. My mum asked me the other day if I was still driving my Toyota. Yes I replied I still love it after all this time. She says "I wonder what you're grandfather would say to see you driving a Japanese car?" Of course he fought the Japanese in India & Burma in WW2. Funny how things can change over time.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Ya, a lot of the change is for the good though. When an old crowd moves on somethimes the world can move forward. On the other hand there are lessons lost.
I guess the important thing is to forgive the who and remember how and why. Sometimes that takes generations to fade away which is rather sad. Sometimes the hurt and anger is past down :(
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Oh yes, if the prices of alternative vehicles would come down to earth the earth would be a happier place. Nothing forces change like costs :)
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

So we go to the local Kia dealer and they don't have any Souls in the model I want. They had two that had been sold and did not want me to drive them :)
They had the plus model, but I want the wimpy engine so I never got to try one. I did get in one and for an econo-box it is huge. I bet you could put the Yaris inside it. Anyway they are getting three more in around the end of the month. I am looking for a base automatic model.
My wife still thinks it's stupid looking, but agrees that it would fit me better ;)
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I saw a Soul on the road going the other way today. I actually liked the view of the rear. Some thought gone in to making it look less boxy :D