Chevy Volt

Speaks for itself
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: Chevy Volt

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Nice, that's about have my weekly gas cost.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Nice! Not to be nit picky, but did that include the free charging you've been able to get?
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I don't get any free charging! lol
ImageImage
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

No free charging? I thought there were charging stations you could stop at and plug into for 'free'? Restaurants, etc...? Still impressive though, some quick math and using the average price of gas at $3.60/gallon, you are getting 90 mpg equivalent to gas. I used the $22 you spent on electricity and determined the number of gallons of gas that would buy, and used your mileage.
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Well.. yes I suppose there is free charging at some places. Last month we took a long trip and stopped at a Chili's that had a charging station. As customers they will allow you to charge for free. That was a one time thing though, and there aren't any of them in my local area yet. :( I asked the people at Chili's in our area and they had no idea what I was talking about lol.
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Sales info for May

Nissan Leaf - 510 sold
Prius Plugin - 1086 sold
Chevy Volt - 1680 sold

They are catching on. :) May was the second biggest sales month for the Volt.
ImageImage
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Mike, what do you consider a reasonable normal trip range for your Volt? For instance, I regularly take trips over a 1000 miles. It seems like it is more of a commuter car than a road trip car.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Definitely designed as a commuter car with it's battery range, but you can drive it long range if you choose. That's one of it's greatest strengths, it's very versatile. Once the battery is used up it gets about 40 MPG, (my father and I have both done better than this) which is pretty damn respectable. I would not mind taking long trips in it, it's a fun car to drive. It only has a 9 gallon tank, so it isn't a shocker at the pump on long trips! If I were on a long trip, I would just put regular in it if I knew I was going to use it. Chevy says "premium only" in the tank cause if it sits for a year or so the gas won't go bad! My thoughts on the Volt for long trips: it's a car that gets good gas mileage. In between the long trips, you might not burn any gas! :)
ImageImage