EOD helocopters

[JiF]cam
Forum User

EOD helocopters

Post by [JiF]cam »

Hi all. Was playing with Shellshocked couple days ago and he asked me to post some tips on flying helocopters, I love to fly them, there a good way to get around and some have lots of fire power. It is to bad to learn to land that u have to take off first, the OH-6 Soar is easy to fly compared to the bigger ones, Mil mi-4 or 8 take alot more punishment from artillery, but one of your buddies with a rpg can pretty much take them all out. I learned alot about aiming with the flittner on the map Invasion of new foundland, It sits on the aircraftcarrier on the axis side. Has alot of firepower, and 1 sniper can shoot u out of it. The map Great Brittian , in EOD is a great place tolearn to fly them. You can practice in offline mod, and there is most of the different types. Try to just do short hops or just get in the air a few feet and then set it backdown easy. Dont worry about landing on the pad at first, just try to land in any open area that is pretty flat and after u can do that, without blowing up, pick a pad that doesnt have alot of stuff around to land on. You can also land on hangers to repair and reload. Dont get in a hurry. this is going to take alot of practice. You can also use the F10 camera if u want an outside few to fly with, but you cant aim very good that way, Look forward to seeing yall flyin, and i will keep a rpg 4 U. cam
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Re: EOD helocopters

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Hey thanks cam for posting this. I understand that you fly with the keyboard and mouse. I have tried to fly them with my joystick but the rudder twist is always going out of calibration so it puts on a constant rudder demand with a predictable result - crash!
I have recently started to practice with the keyboard and mouse and I am having more success. If you get some time could you perhaps talk us through the keys and how best to set them for situations like hovering still and also landing.

:)
[JiF]cam
Forum User

Post by [JiF]cam »

I use wsad and the mouse for all vehicles, soldier, aa,jeeps planes and boats or ships, tanks... When i go from one to the other I make sure it is all the same whether driving, flying or shooting. pull the mouse back and your view should move towards the top of the screen. Will check sensitivites on mouse and keyboards and b back after dinner.
[JiF]DaftGeordie
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DaftGeordie »

I find that putting the sensitivity right up on your mouse helps, I know that sounds crazy but it's a case of just trying and trying then one day it comes to you.
The server I used to play on had turbo mode on the helos, which basically meant you could keep up with jets on the maps!
I've never tried using a joystick so I can't comment.
Every helo takes a different method to fly the AH is very sensitive where as something like a Hind sort of lumbers along and takes more time to turn.
Anyway like I said it's just a case of sticking at it.
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Thanks Cam, but I think I will spend time on improving my AA skills so I can shoot you down :)
[JiF]cam
Forum User

Post by [JiF]cam »

thanx brick, but since i am scared of hieghts and fly on the ground a rpg will do. As i said b4, i use wsad and the mouse for all my controls 4 everthing. On helos w is up, s is down, a is left rudder and d is right. The mouse controls axis, move mouse back to u the helo should aim up, push foward and the nose should go down, left will tilt the helo that way and the same for right. When u take off u can hold w and it will pretty much go straight up, after that just carefully use the mouse to keep it level, and a@d to keep it striaght, wish i could spell goood. the higher u r in first position the more u have a tendancy to have the helo tilted forward and u pick up a lot of speed. this is a directional air steered machine . if u r trying to spin it around u will have to do as much to stop it as u did to get it going. so just take it easy and it will come to u like daft said, i run my mouse at half sensetivity and use the arrow keys if i got time to get full sensetivity If yall got ?s just put um up and me or 1 of the guys will post, good game s tonight all [ in bf2] cam
Last edited by [JiF]cam on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Thanks cam , how do you make the helo hover in a stationary position and then how do you land?
[JiF]cam
Forum User

Post by [JiF]cam »

You can hover right at the pad, when u take off. tap the w key and u can tell when it is ready to lift off, u will have to use rudder to keep it from spinning and then just balance the helo with the mouse and u can sit at the pad and keep it off the ground a few feet. Or use the f10 view outside rear view of helo can help you at first, you will be able to see what is going on that way, I will have to think about landing. If you have the helo balanced and it is not going down tap the s key, it will then, be sure u can have enough time to use w key. I learned to land and hover first , after i flew all over and would loose it trying to get down, It really is just a balancing act with a helo. they will fly as fast backwards as forwards and side to side. keep asking ?s cause i cant remember everthing and take it slow and easy. cam . Also if u r a few feet from the ground and cannot get settled, switch to 2nd or 3rd position and it will set itself down maybe with less damage. :]
Last edited by [JiF]cam on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Thanks cam , my brain is hurting now :lol:
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]War Trophy »

Yesterday was my first day on EoD, and I'm really impressed. I thought it was going to be another Battlefield Vietnam, but frankly, it's a lot better!
Of course I had to have a go at flying the helicopters, and for the first few attempts I really sucked, but then I found it wasn't all that hard, and for the most part I stayed in the sky and was getting accurate fire on the enemy.
I fly with a joystick which I think lets you fine tune the heli's manoueverability better than mouse and keyboard. The choppers naturally want to spin wildly in circles and I think the knack to stable flight is continous lateral counter-steering (ie.yaw, or left-right pitch). Sometimes a light touch on the countersteer is needed and sometimes a hard touch, depending on the amount of spin at any given moment.
I'm yet to master coming out of a fast dive when attacking targets directly beath me, and I end up in the trees or nosediving into the target, but I'm gonna practice a lot, because it seems to me a good heli pilot would dominate the maps. The helis are a lot of fun, so I'm gonna exploit them as much as possible.
You have been warned. :twisted:
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

You were flying the helos pretty good last night WT I was quite impressed when you landed them in one piece and attacked the flags on foot.
I need to do some intensive practicing off line because I would love to be able to fly them half decently.

I am hoping that after next week when we will be running v2.4 we may attract some other EoD players so we can have a reall good fight and
really appreciate just how good this mod is.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Currently trying to get all my BF42 & all the other bits loaded on my laptop.
So I could be around soon if I can get it all to work :D
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Hey come on down Gav come on down!
[JiF]philippe
Forum User

Post by [JiF]philippe »

Ho ho ! seems to be very funny, i have to come quickly !!