Need help with Asus BIOS update error

Speaks for itself
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Need help with Asus BIOS update error

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

I have been having issues with my USB ports on my computer, Asus P8H67-M LE mother board. I checked asus website and they did show some issues that were fixed with a bios update. So I updated the bios using their utility program and now when I boot back into Windows 7 64 Home Premium I get the start of the windows logo, followed by a quick flash of a BSOD, and then into a Windows Startup Recovery program. It can't find an issue. There had been about 5 BIOS upgrades since I got my computer, and I wasn't able to go back to my original BIOS version, instead I made it to the next to oldest one. Still now help. Any suggestions?

Thanks
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Re: Need help with Asus BIOS update error

Post by [JiF]Doc »

Normally when this happens you have to continue flashing your bios with other versions until you find one that works, via usb drive/cd. WIth your motherboard however there is a feature that will allow you to restore the original version incase of a bios flash gone wrong.

Do you still have the original CD that came with the motherboard?

If so you should be able to boot from the ASUS cd/dvd and it will have your original bios version. Theres a flash utility built in so it should restore the original version.

However if you do not have the cd there are stil ways to do it but a bit more complicated. If you do not have the cd let me know I can walk you through another method.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: Need help with Asus BIOS update error

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Thanks Doc, all good advice. I was able to get back up and running again though based on help from HardForums.com. The BIOS update did work as it should (granted I did start trying to roll back and am on a version that is just one iteration older than my original), but what I learned is that when you flash the bios, all your old bios settings are lost. There was only one setting I had to change though, setting the SATA controller back to AHCI from IDE so that it would read my SSD boot drive! Once that was done, all was well! What kept throwing me though was my system would start to boot to windows, I could see the Windows logo come on and then a BSOD. After that a Windows utility tool would start up to try and help resolve the problem. So I kept thinking it can kinda sorta read the hard drive, so it must be the BIOS update that is wrong. Lesson learned!
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?