High Tech Trouble Shooting

Speaks for itself
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

High Tech Trouble Shooting

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

When I got my new computer I discovered that my trusty webcam would not work anymore. Apparently there are no drivers for Windows 7. I had this same problem when I went to XP at first, but fortunately after leaving the webcam lying around for a few months someone decided to write a driver and it began to work.

The problem this time is that my wife needs to Skype tonight. I told her we could move the webcam to her laptop and put Skype on it, but she wasn't that keen and I really don't know if there is a Vista driver available.

Then I remembered I put Skype on our iPad2. My daughter was visiting and she has Skype on her laptop so we're good to go. I fire up the iPad and call my daughter's laptop. We connect and I'm able to establish a good video connection with the able assistance of my four year old grandson who is more than happy to sit in the next room with the laptop as a test subject. Video works great and my grandson and I can hear each other perfectly.

Unfortunately, he hears me through the laptop and I hear him because he's in the next room and not a thousand miles away like my wife's sister will be tonight when she calls her at her surprise 70th birthday party. (She actually knows she'll be 70 so that is NOT the surprise.) So I google 'iPad2 Skype sound problems" and find some helpful tips. I follow the tips to no avail. After trying a few other links with the same result, I finally found the 'senior citizen' version of a help link asking the pertinent question "Does the other PC have a microphone?". D'oh!

Now I feel like Grimp (well like Grimp and I often feel, but if you can't take a cheap shot at a fellow JiF'er then what good is being in JiF?). So I plug a mic into the laptop and it works great.

I'm sure her laptop has an internal mic, but it was much easier to plug a mic in than try to solve two great technical issues at once. Remember, Tissue can only fix one issue per day. Then he has to nap.

Now to replace the broken light switch in the office before my wife decides to withhold my Christmas presents. It is tough being a technical guru these days.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Re: High Tech Trouble Shooting

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

LOL Thanks Tissue. It is good to know we are not alone!
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

ROTFLMAO Heck I have days when I can't fix a broken light switch....ummmm it's usually after a night of drinking, but it happens ;D
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]cam
Forum User

Post by [JiF]cam »

G'Evening! Cam had me read your post, and it had me laughing out loud. You are not only a talented writer, but a man with a great sense of humor in the face of chaos. Merry Christmas from Cam, and Tech Wife, Sparky.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

lol Tissue - thanks for keeping us entertaind - you and grimp should have your own show!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula