Wireless Network Card

Speaks for itself
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Wireless Network Card

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Any suggestions? I sometimes use my work laptop at home on our current wireless router, the PS3 and the occasional smart phone. We may have a newer dedicated laptop in the house which we'll be using though. We currently have DSL but going to switch over to Roadrunner cable.

For the setup, the cable modem is going to probably be in the basement as that is where the main cable lines enter the house. There the cable modem will feed directly one computer (or more if I get another). My wife has her home office on the main floor of the house with her work and a desktop PC about 50 feet away. I was going to put a Lan hub in her office so she can feed both her computers there. Currently the DSL modem is in her office and I get my internet connection from her through the same line I plan to feed hers with.

I guess I could put the wireless router (they typically are a hub as well) in her office, feed her two computers via hard wired as well off it. Would there be any downfall to having the wireless router ~50 feet away from the cable modem?

How about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Ex ... HEGQVWV6VK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get a $20 gift card from Amazon, it is 4 star rated, but some of the newest reviews have been pretty negative. Any suggestions on another brand or model? Hoping to keep the cost in the $60-70 range but would consider other options.

Currently we are using a Westshell 327W that was supplied to us by our DSL company. We are switching to Roadrunner, 10 Mbps :D so we'll need the new wireless router. DSL from Zoomtown has been horrendous lately, 0.6-0.7 Mbps download speeds and intermittent service. We are paying $40/month and are supposed to be getting 5 Mbps. Spent over 2 hours this weekend with tech support, no help, but they would send a tech out on the 29th. That is their idea of customer service?!?! RR will be $29/month, plus we'll have digital home phone (currently no phone) for a year. Sorry for the rant...
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Re: Wireless Network Card

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Hi KH, You should have no problem with it sitting that close, mine sits right next to my modem. D-Link is a good brand. Myself I use Netgear, and have never had an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless- ... 805&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Should be no problem with proximity.
I just upgraded to a Netgear wireless-N router.
WOW, what a speed and range difference from the wireless a/b/g
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

Kel,

Just like Brick said.... key is to go down the N- path... :)

LTWB