Anyone do any hunting?

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Anyone do any hunting?

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I'm going on a hunting trip to Mississippi in December for deer. A few years back I bought a new Remington Model 700 30-06, but never put a scope on it cause I didn't get around to hunting. I'm now looking at the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm. Our longest shot possible, I am told, will be around 200 yards. Anyone have any opinions on scopes? I've done a lot of reading online but talking to someone with actual experience would be nice. I might go tonight to get my scope, my rifle is at another place getting the rings mounted. I'm hoping to have it ready for this weekend to do some shooting practice. :shoot:
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib

Re: Anyone do any hunting?

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I used to hunt 2 legged deer but that was years ago and before I was married. All my hunting skills are now out of practice but I don't recall ever using a scope....unless you count beer googles :)
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

That's a nice scope.
However, if you don't hunt that much, you could get away with spending less at your local big box store.
Just make sure you spend adequate time sighting it in.
Sight it in at 100 yards and then see how much it drops at 200. Shouldn't drop much with 30-06.
Good luck!
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

Going bow hunting this weekend. Michigan allows us 50ish hunters to use cross bows now, but $600 - $1000 is a little steep for me. I'd rather put that on a new pc. So I still use my trusty Fred Bear compound. As for rifle, I still use my 30-30 Marlin w/ 3-9 x 40mm Bushnell. This is sufficient for the northern lower Michigan national forrest. What you have will be great! Nice scope! GOOD LUCK!
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Nice, I can't wait to get it. The scope is on order with the local gun shop I bought the gun from a few years back. They will mount it and bore sight it for me free since I bought the gun there. I kinda wanted to do it all myself, but this supports a local shop and I've got a few weeks anyway. Scope should be in on Tuesday and they'll get it all together for me after. Should have it back by next weekend.
ImageImage
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

Mike,

That's a sweet one. :)

I usually go to OpticsPlanet.net for my stuff.

I typically hunt though with a crossbow (Wildcat C5) and red dot scope.

My DPMS M4 carbine with laser site is not really conducive for deer (or turkey!) in Ohio... 8/
stuck with using only at the club/range and awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse... ;D

Major C - glad to see Michigan came online with legalized CB's... gotta get one...soooo sweet and you can be sooo lazy with a built in crank for a couple bucks more (my total package was $399)

LTWB