Q9650

Looking for something? Post here and maybe someone can help
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Q9650

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Hey,

I've got a E8600 (2 cores) and looking to upgrade to Q9560 (4 cores). Just wondering if by chance anyone has this cpu that they would want to sell. It's one of the last upgrades I can do on my motherboard and would save me from replacing MB, Mem, and Win7 which is what I would have to do to get the i5 or i7 series.

Cheers
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: Q9650

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Wow, I won a QX9650 and tried to sell it. Nobody wanted it. I finally built my machine around it last year I think :(
Did you go i7?
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

I haven't gone i7 yet, I ended up getting a Q9650 from Ebay but for whatever reason it didn't work so I sent it back for a partial refund. It should have worked with my board, my bios is updated to the latest version, I have a 700 OCZ Gamestream so I don't think it was a power issue and all that but to no avail. I was hoping to get a bit more juice out of my system before replacing it with a new Board, cpu, memory, aftermarket heatsink, and new Win7 (mine is OEM only works with this board) which will cost a pretty penny to do. All I really need is the 4 cores for BF3 and if I upgrade my GTX 460 OC I would probably bottleneck my E8600. You still looking to sell it or are you holding on to it? Not 100% sure if I'm still interested because of all the trouble I went through to try and get the Q9650 to work but let me know either way.

Cheers :)
Image Image
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

That's too bad it did not work. I am stuck with mine now as I built the system for it. Not that its a bad thing. Seems to run fine.
Doc had OEM Win 7 and had to replace his motherboard. Dunno if he tried to register it yet. I will try and remember to ask him if it worked.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote: Doc had OEM Win 7 and had to replace his motherboard. Dunno if he tried to register it yet. I will try and remember to ask him if it worked.
Yeah, let me know, that's the one part that kills me about the upgrade to i7 is the fact that I have to buy another Win7 which I already own seems like a waste of money to me.

You should be good for a while longer with the QX9650 so I wouldn't upgrade for a while if I were you, it's not worth the cost of upgrading for the difference in speed. My E8600 is a great cpu and It works great with everything I throw at it. I just wish BF3 (and Bad Company 2) didn't love the Quad cores so much, and gave a little more love to the Duo's! Haven't bought BF3 yet so I might be ok (metro beta ran pretty good but Caspian was a little iffy) with the E8600/GTX 460 OC at Med graphics and I'll just Upgrade to i7 maybe in 5-6 months.

Cheers
Image Image
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Before you go with the i7 concider this, I was going to go with i7, but bought the i5 2500k insted and have it up to 4.4 now with no hickups. Saved a bunch of $ and getting great performance. But I am running it in a P67 Sabortooth.
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Looks like that might be a good plan Blood. What aftermarket heatsink do you have? The P67 is discontinued so I'll have to look at another board tho. Maybe I'll Upgrade sooner, maybe around February and prices may go down a bit more by then. As long as I can get what I need for 500-600 bucks I'll be good. Probably won't overclock so I wouldn't need a real heavy duty MB and heatsink. As long as it's a 1155 I'll be happy with the i5 and then the next year I can get a i7 2700 or better without a huge upgrade. It would save me 100-150 bucks so I'll seriously consider the i5 as the i7 might be a bit of an overkill til the following year.
Image Image
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Heres the MoBo---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131665
And the heatsink--http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103099
This is The memory I use in mine--http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231428
And the i5, be sure and buy the k series, its UNLOCKED so you can overclock if you wish. The reg. i5 is not unlocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now