Zouga is in the market for a new PC

Speaks for itself
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Zouga is in the market for a new PC

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Hi guys,

After a whole year off my wife is finally returning to the world of work (hallelujah!) which means as of December the pressure on my limited wage packet will be much reduced (Praise Be!)

As a result I have decided to get myself a 0% interest on repayments credit card and build myself a new computer then pay it off over the next few months – having paid for nearly everything for the last year I have a considerable store of brownie points stored up that I think I can trade off against my computer budget.

I have been doing some preliminary research and came up with the following which I am estimating will cost around £650-£750 ($975-$1125). However I could do with some advice on whether I have made good choices and I want suggestions from you for some components (e.g. MoBo and Soundcard)
This will be a general rig for use in my house but I will also use it for gaming.
CPU – Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155) - £230
Graphics - VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD 6950 PCI-E 2.1 Graphics Card - £200
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Module 8gb (2x4gb) Ddr3 1866mhz Cl9 Unbuffered Dimm - £50
PSU – 650W OCZ ZS Series ATX2.2 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply - £50
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - £40
MoBo – I have zero idea of what Motherboard to get so I would appreciate any advice – I estimate about £60-£100 for this
SoundCard – Again no idea but looking to spend about £20-£30 – maybe more if necessary
I will also need a fan, a wireless PCI card and a case to stick it all in for which I reckon I would pay about £70 or £80 in total

Appreciate any advice and I am more than willing to change my mind about some of the components but the upper budget limit is pretty fixed.

If suggesting stuff from newegg, please bear in mind that it is US only so prices are irrelevant.

Cheers
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: Zouga is in the market for a new PC

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

I think the new Intel IvyBridge cpus' will be out soon, might want to look into one of those if they aren't already out. Plus when they do come out, prices on the previous generation CPUs should drop.

the other thing I'd consider is getting a solid state hard drive. They cost more, but the speed increase is incredible. My Core i5 system boots in about 23 seconds with the SSD. I have to drives, the SSD which is 64 gigs for booting and a few programs, and then a larger 500 gig for the majority of other programs and regular storage. SSD prices are coming down though, and you could probably get a 128 for a good price and not need the spare.
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Daterminaytah
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Daterminaytah »

check your CT mail zouga i send you a msg as guitarmike
also you might wanna check out http://www.geeks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; great buys on workstations and desktops at great prices
hope that helps

mikey
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Zman,

Great to hear!

Check out the posts on the build Mike and I did(I pretty much went with what he got). Should be able to play BF3 on ultra all the way...

Gib