BF 1942 Server Reliability

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

BF 1942 Server Reliability

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

We have had quite a lot of problems with our bf1942 server over the past few weeks which appear to be caused by our hosting partner activities (or lack of them)
Sometimes it has refused to start or not connecting to gamespy and therefore not being seen in the in-game browser or looking as if the server is dead on gametracker also inconsistent bfrm acccess and general wierd stuff.

This unreliability is not only irritating people but is also damaging the jif server reputation and turning newcomers away.
Maybe we should consider switching to another hosting partner, what do folks think?
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Re: BF 1942 Server Reliability

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

I have wondered about that myself Shell. My only concern is the time that someone needs to spend to research and find another host.
If someone has the time and it would not be a hassle for them I would be for moving to a better service.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

A few thoughts...

This is an old game, it has stability problems all on it's own. The host I signed us up with is one of the biggest, and one of the few that seemed to actually support bf42. I found a lot of places were dropping support for it simply because of it's age, lack of popularity, and it's complexity to support. Games today are more streamlined for hosting companies and BF42 is by no means streamlined!

I have a friend who runs a large hosting company, they had stopped offering it but he was gonna do me a favor and let me get one from him. His partners over ruled him, because of the reasons I stated above. I know we've had some issues over the last few weeks. I have to take some blame there though, I didn't submit a ticket as soon as I should have. The host has, for the most part, quickly resolved problems as they've popped up.

If someone wants to research other hosts though by all means do so. When I looked I had a few requirements:

1. Reasonable price
2. Established hosting company (this one eliminated a lot of places)
3. Good support
4. Data center located on east coast of US

If you find some place that looks better than our current host (gameservers.com), let me know and I'll take a look.
ImageImage
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Thanks for the feedback Mike , another important (and difficult) requirement was support for COOP mode.
[JiF]DaftGeordie
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DaftGeordie »

Seems like it's a problem that's not easily solved I say whatevers easiest for you Mike.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

[JiF]DaftGeordie wrote:Seems like it's a problem that's not easily solved I say whatevers easiest for you Mike.
I say whatever is best for the JiF community
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

Old 1942 server is sitting in the basement, shall i plug it in? Or send it to mike :) . Would have to check with grimp if we could run it from here. Currently running a arma, and homefront server, we also have the old TS server kicking around.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Can you cope with the extra bandwidth doc?