Corn Rig

Speaks for itself
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Corn Rig

Post by [JiF]corn »

My wife says if i can get a few things done around the house and limit my PC time to weekdays i'll be allowed an upgrade.
Sounds like a good deal. :D :hihi:
Any suggestions on a motherboard that would work with two HD6850 Black edition video cards?
I was thinking of maybe an AMD system but i've seen some of the other posts that say the Intel i5 and i7 are real good.

I noticed video cards have DDR5 but do Motherboards support DDR5 yet?
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Re: Corn Rig

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]corn wrote:My wife says if i can get a few things done around the house and limit my PC time to weekdays i'll be allowed an upgrade.
Corn, if I was you I'd look my wife in the eye and firmly say "Thank you, dear". When the wife is happy all is good. Good luck with the upgrade. Not sure when I'll get around to upgrading mine. I've been thinking about it for over a year now.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

yeah yeah yeah, last time i updgraded my pc was about 6 years back and i was only a little upgrade in order to bring my pc to the 21st century. For the last 3 years ive been saving money to buy myself a new one and now just as i had enough(about 1700 euros) i decided to move with my girlfriend. From the point of view of my bank account this was not a good idea. See: Bail 1073 Euros, renting a truck 100, appatement rent is a extra 100 to what i paid before, + renting another car month back to go pick up stuff on the other side of germany about 300 euros. is a total of around 1570 euros. Leaves 200 euros for my pc?!?! i guess i'll wait another 3 years
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

I should probably wait until i get cash in hand before asking you guys about what to get.

I still have to keep up my end of the deal and it's not wise to count chickens before they hatch.
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

I've had pretty good luck starting with a barebones kit from TigerDirect.com.
You'll need to upgrade the case to a better one, maybe add some ram, and Windows 7 O/S.
For about $500 it's not bad, especially if you already have the vid card
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

[JiF]corn wrote:My wife says if i can get a few things done around the house and limit my PC time to weekdays i'll be allowed an upgrade.
Any suggestions on a motherboard that would work with two HD6850 Black edition video cards?
I was thinking of maybe an AMD system but i've seen some of the other posts that say the Intel i5 and i7 are real good.

I noticed video cards have DDR5 but do Motherboards support DDR5 yet?
I think you might be mixing up Computer memory and Graphic card memory. Mother boards take DDR, DDR2, DDR3, the last being the most recent. Graphic card memory is something different and only pertains to the Video card not the motherboard. There is DDR3 and DDR5 for video cards, you want DDR5 it's the better of the two and as far as I know have no compatibility issues with the board.

I don't know if you know the following info but just in case you don't:

If you want to use 2 vid cards and that are ati you want to have a crossfire board. If you have 2 nvidia cards you want an sli board. Single cards it doesn't matter what board but when you use 2 you have to use a specific board that supports sli or crossfire. Keep in mind you have to have another half of psu power. So if a single card requires 400 watt you would need to have around 600 est. watt power. That of course is just an example though. Card specs usually have psu requirements for a single and a sli/crossfire, but keep in mind you need more power. There is also not much of an improvement though and some games don't really support it all that well so I would suggest doing some research on if it's really worth it to do or just get a really good single card. But google and research board compatibility for ati crossfire as there is a compatibility issue.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

[livestream][/livestream] AMD is the way to go as far as I'm concerned, here is one of the best out right now for around $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

My Video card is ATI HD 6850 DDR5 and would like to keep it and buy another one or be able to buy another one for my new PC.
To answer the question, i guess i need to buy a crossfire compatible board and build up from there.
I wasn't sure if they made DDR5 for RAM or was it just for video cards.

Wow BG,that motherboard is wicked.
32G ram :shock: 10 rear USB ports :shock:

:shock:
"8-core native CPU cores "
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Corn,

check out the motherboard I bought and see if you like for your needs. same as mikes I believe.

newegg.com:

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130574
$172.99
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

Hey Corn,

If I were you I would definitely just buy another 6850. You will of course need to buy a new motherboard, that is if your current one doesn't support crossfire, but it will be the cheapest way to get the most performance. I know there are some pros/cons to running Crossfire/SLI just because most games out there really aren't optimized for multiple GPU support, but seeing as DICE is developing BF3 mainly with the PC in mind, you'll can count on them to optimize this game for PC hardware first and foremost.

I've always been a nVidia/Intel fanboy but you can't beat AMD's prices and from what I've heard/read, a lot of their latest hardware is very very good. In your case you really only need to have compatible videocards and motherboard. However, you will want to make sure your powersupply can handle dual GPUs and of course you will want to make sure you case can keep everything cool when running that much hardware. Just check out what tigerdirect.com or newegg.com has to offer and always shop by best rating.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Is this a good processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should i wait until AMD comes out with their new AM3+ processor in September? AM3+Bulldozer?

I read some reviews on newegg and they said that the current AMD CPU lineup doesn't support RAM at DDR3 1866.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So confused! :shock: :?

Here is the Processor i was looking to get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

You should be just fine with the processor! Its more than enough muscle to handle what you throw at it, besides, most of the games today don't even utilize multiple cores like they should.

As for the ram, it will work with the processor+mobo combo that you have, it just wont work at the speed at which it was built for. I guess currently your CPU/MOBO combo will only support ram at a speed of DDR3 1600. So until AMD supports this, you will be paying for an overclocked ram that will run underclocked. Nevertheless, I doubt it will make a difference in the long run. As long as you have a strong GPU, fast CPU, and enough ram you will be golden.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking