DDO Crafting

A few of us have started playing DDO. It's now free to play. (Although you can still spend plenty of money with micro-transactions if you choose!) We play on the Khyber world.
Grab the client here!
[JiF]Gib

DDO Crafting

Post by [JiF]Gib »

ah, heres some links that help tell you what you can make and what item to make it on

http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=318331

Jump on ts so Stinky or I can give you the Crafting 101 course if interested.

DDO crafting blows WOW outta da water folks! DO IT! :)
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: DDO Crafting

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

And a tip for new players -- do NOT sell the weapons and armor you can't use to a vendor. Put them in your bank slots when you get to Stormreach Harbor if you are running out of bag room. You can go the crafting center off of the Marketplace and "deconstruct" those items to give you essences. It basically works like this:

1. Deconstruct weapons to give you essences.
2. Combine essences to make shards.
3. Put shards on gear to give you bonuses.

You can only put shards on gear that has been prepared, which essentially strips it of all current bonuses. So junk drops are good for this. Some of the steps require ingredients sold by a vendor in the crafting center. Also, the vendor will break greater essences into lesser essences (1 gets you 5); early on, you need mainly lesser essences.

There are 3 main schools of crafting -- Arcane, Divine and Elemental. Every time you make a shard or craft gear, your skill in that school goes up. As you get to higher levels, you open up more recipes, and the success percentage for crafting goes up. Early on, just make lots of shards to get XPs and throw them out. Don't worry about it, all you are doing is levelling up to the point where you can make good stuff. Every time you make a shard, the XPs for making that same shard go down, so vary your shards. The XP is down on the recipe at the bottom.

By the time you get up to 7 or 8 in each crafting school you can start to make useful stuff. You put three types of bonuses on gear: 1) a +1, +2 etc enchancement for To Hit, Damage, 2) a "prefix" that gives you a basic bonus (e.g., Cold Touch does +1 cold damange on a hit, or another might give you +1 to your Healing skill); and 3) a "suffix", which usually is in the form of adding "of the XXX" to the item (e.g., a Heavy Mace of Lesser Reptilian Bane, which gives you a +1 To Hit/damage and 1-6 extra damage against all reptilian enemies).

Here's a place where you can the list of prefixes and suffixes.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Weapon_enchantments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To give you an idea of what's possible, my Bard Jiff is level 4, and he has already made two specialized weapons:

-- a Cold Touch Heavy Mace of Lesser Reptilian Bane -- 1d8 damage +1 cold damage +1d6 damage against reptiles (kobolds, trogdolytes) - VERY useful in the Waterworks and other early quests

-- a Fire Touch Heavy Mace of Lesser Undead Bane -- 1d8 damage +1 fire damage + 1d6 damage against undead - great for the Catacombs.

As soon as I get some more Arcane shards, I will add 1 Enhancement to both, upping their To Hit rolls and damage.

Another tip -- if you are serious about DDO, I suggest you buy some Turbine points and get a bag for ingredients and a bag for collectables. These items will start to clog your bags very quickly once you get to Stormreach. I am buying 80 slots bags of each for all my characters. The collectables are needed for higher level crafting.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I have never played an MMO - and based on the above I am never likely to.

It all seems like too much hard work to accomplish anything - where are the days of Golden Axe where you ran around with a big old weapon chopping the bejesus out of everything that came mear you, picked up keys to open gates and jumped over pits with stakes in the bottom?
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Different strokes for diferent folks. I love it, as you can really plan your character, and then take it into battle to see the results. On the other hand, you can completely ignore crafting and still have fun clearing out dungeons. The game is big enough to accomodate all types.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

What kind of system reqs are there to run this? I might give it a go if I can just comea long for the ride and crack some skulls a la Conan the Barbarian
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

The reqs for this game are pretty low.
In order to fully experience the amazing world of Eberron you'll need to have a Windows PC that meets the following requirements:

Minimum System Requirements

O.S.: Windows® XP
Processor: P4 1.6 GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
Memory: 512 MB RAM
GraphicsCard: 64 MB Hardware T&L -compatible video card
NetworkConnection: 56.6 K modem
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
DiscSpace: 3GB, 5GB for high resolution

Recommended System Requirements

O.S.: Windows® XP/Vista
Processor: P4 3.0GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
Memory: 1GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce FX or better with 128MB of memory
Network Connection: Cable Modem or DSL connection
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Disc Space: 3GB 5GB for high resolution
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Ya don't have to craft Zouga, just go crazy splittin' skulls....."I COME FOR YOUR HEAD!!!" rawwwr!
[JiF]Der Hesse
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Der Hesse »

Im going to specialize in elemantal and a bit arcane crafting. So if you need something you cant craft, tell me an ill try for you. Its just a bit more expensive, because ill have to craft unbinded stuff.
By the way...fire-essences are always welcome. ^^
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Ok so I took the plunge and D/L this yesterday but have not installed it as yet. I doubt I will be able to commit much time to the game - maybe a couple of hours a week, so I would like to be able to make an effective contibution when I play.

With that in mind I want to ask advice on what type of character I should cretae and use? (bearing in mind that I don't know what the various classes are)

Cheers,

ZtF
-Nietzsche

-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

If you are not familiar with the classes, take a look at the descriptions on the DDO site. Paladins are an excellent solo class so if you don't want to research, play a Paladin because they can wear heavy armor, shields, any martial or simple weapon and start getting divine spells at level 4. Warriors are also a good choice for newbies.

Hope you like it Z.

gib

-- Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:52 am --

All,

Now that I have crafted alot of stuff for all my chars, I can start making stuff for you guys. if you use the machines and links I've posted you can see what can be made. Or if you just want to tell me what kind of shards you want and send me the mats for them I will be happy to craft unbound shards for you. Even easier, just tell me what kind of general thing you want such as, "I am running out of magic power points to power spells and need more". Or; "I am not hitting monsters in melee enough"...etc. Tell me what ails ya and I'll write a prescription of what you need to give me for material inputs!

Dr. Dave(Gib)

-- Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm --

http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/
Us the above link to see what you can put on an item and what minimum level to use it along with the types and amounts of ingredients you need to make the shards!

VERY handy.

-- Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:24 pm --

Some more good crafting tips such as deconstruct items to get essences, craft cheap shards(have to read costs of mats), then deconstruct the SHARD you just made. This is for when you have a bunch of mats and want to level up quickly from low level AND there's nothing you really want to put on gear.

http://my.ddo.com/cordovan/2011/09/08/t ... -crafting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;