Dungeons & Dragons Online - Gib and I need a thief!

A few of us have started playing DDO. It's now free to play. (Although you can still spend plenty of money with micro-transactions if you choose!) We play on the Khyber world.
Grab the client here!
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Dungeons & Dragons Online - Gib and I need a thief!

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Gib and I are having a lot of fun making our way through the free-to-play Dungeons and Dragons Online game. That's right, it's free to play, and free to download. The game does encourage you to buy points for better gear, more quests, bigger bags, etc, but it is absolutley possible to play, have fun and pay nothing.

Gib's a fighting mace-and-shield human cleric, and I'm a dwarf barbarian swinging a mean two-handed axe. We're both up to level 5 and running some harder dungeons and adventures now, and would love to see some Jiffers join and fill out our merry band. It'd be good to have a thief, and maybe a magic user. I suppose it never hurts to have another melee guy too.

The game has a different feel from Warcraft or Lord of the Rings. Much more dungeon-focused, with a premium on planning and use of skills.

We had a good laugh last night when we cleared out an ancient library infested with undead. We got to the very end and discovered a hidden room behind a bookcase containing the last fragment of a scroll we needed. The door opened, Gib ran in and then I heard "swoosh-swoosh," followed by Gib yelling something in TS you do not want your kids to hear. I look in the room and Gib's lying dead, the victim of a vicious blade trap. If we had been more alert, we would have noticed those strange slots in the wall near the scroll and thought, "Hmm, I wonder what those are? Maybe we should take a second and search the room."

Anyways, if anyone is thinking of trying it, make sure you go to the Khyber server and look us up (Jhany Laroo and Torqenada Gib). We'd be happy to run you through some early quests and share some gear to get you levelled up.

Here's the link.

https://signup.ddo.com/ddo.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online - Gib and I need a thief!

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I signed up and am downloading the game. I'll give it a try.
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Holy cow look at all the options for a class. What should I pick!? lol
ImageImage
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Am downloading now, I will become your Theif, my name is MandarinBlood. see you in there soon
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Blood, did you already roll your character? Mike created a thief last night. We can still use two, but if you have some options you might think of making a ranger, bard or sorcerer, someone who can do ranged damage.
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

No haven't made him yet, just let me know which one will be the most helpfull

[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I'm not totally in love with my thief. There are parts I like, but I think a magical/ranged char would better suit me. I was thinking about trying a ranger out today.
ImageImage
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Hey, in the end choose a character you like. Pay attention to the difficulty level in the creation screens -- the toons Gib and I chose (cleric and barbarian) are among the easiest to play solo and level up. So if you want to play some solo, go ahead and choose an easy class. Some forum posts suggest that fighters and barbarians are the easiest to play, followed by cleric, wizard and bard. Rangers and rogues are tougher and monk is the hardest of all.

I tried a ranger but kept dying in the early quests so gave it up and and stuck with my barbarian. We can always buy hireling contracts to fill out a specific need in a party.

So Mike, you might want to try a wizard. And Blood, up to you, but if you want something easier I'd go fighter.

You can have up to two toons in free-to-play, so you can try them out.
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

How do I play On-line and pick a server ?

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

As I recall, after you download and install the game, you log on and one of the first screens you see asks you to pick a server or realm or whatever it is called. There will be a list; look for Khyber on it and select it. After you are in, you get to the create character screen.
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

We are TS Blood so if you jump on tonight I think we are all planning on playing and being on. Stinky or myself can assist.

I stopped playing wow because the 1 dimensional nature of it(game applies to the masses). this is the original rpg :)

Dungeons, traps, puzzles, tricks, secret doors, plot, and fantastic combat and tactics. Hands down the only real online MMORPG out there - its a ton of fun!! :thumbup:

Except when 2 blades slice you apart when you try to steal a scroll: :thumbdown:

lol

Also i started a rogue and played one before. if nobody wants to then I can play a rogue. if anyone does want to play a rogue the build that works great(so you can enjoy comabt) is
Human - extra feat at 1st level so you get 2 feats. I think they changed it so that you don't get to pick Heavy Repeating Crossbows until level 3 or something but you will want it. Take Rapid Reload. The 3.x rules allow the Rogues Sneak Attack(old Backstab ability) to work at range. Also Sneak attack bonus to hit and damage applies when an opponent is not focused on you! IE: you get a ton of backstab damage as long as a warrior can hold aggro :)

Gib
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

Yes - Thanks Gib!
I got my account started and have started the single player quests.
I have a ranger if that would work, or I can make another charactor.
Let me know when you are going to be on and playing, I will join in.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I'm loving my ranger, fun to play. I need to try my rogue again though cause I think I've learned a few things. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Like pen and paper D&D there is A TRUCKLOAD of things to learn, eventually. One thing to point out is mulitclassing in the 3.x rules is awsome. If nobody plays a thief then I think I may take a few levels as Rogue so we can have detection of traps and secret doors(but there are wands of secret door detection!) and to be able to disarm traps and pick locks. there are often bonus xp and good loot when you have a Rogue in the party.

Then I can do cleric levels again and being human (racial abiliyt) theres no xp penalty for me to multiclass! I have 13 dex which isnt great but that will go up a few points however if I take rogue every so many levels then I should be able to keep the needed skills up and sacrifice Blance, Tumble, Move Silent and Hide(since I am an armored)

Gib

Torqenada - Armored fighting priest of the Silver Flame(with a penchant for stealing, shh, don't tell my god) :)

-- Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm --

Also I have a 3rd level Sorcerer and doing 25-36 points per shot of Niliac's Cold Ray. Sorcerer's are the battle mages and excel in single target DPS and don't have as many spells to use but have more magic power points. If your looking for a magic-user class that does the most damage, Sorcerer seems to be it. Wizards have breadth, Sorcerers depth once way to look at it. Wizard = utility/buffs/overcomming obstacles and decent damage. Sorcery is flip flopped, less utility high damage.

Gib
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I think we need a dedicated forum for DDO. :) I'll get on that.
ImageImage