I should have been a teacher!

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

I should have been a teacher!

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

I was told today by my niece’s charter school that I missed my calling and should have been a teacher. I was invited by her history teacher to speak about the Holocaust and also about some of my parent’s experiences during WW2. These kids were all 15 & 16 years old and they just started learning about the war. I talked to two consecutive classes this morning and was able to keep them interested for about an hour in each class, I began with some facts and figures about the beginning like, “ when did the second world was start?” and “who was involved and where did it happen?” In fact in a trip to Poland back in 1995, I visited Westerplatte, which is a peninsula just outside Gdansk where the German battleship Schleswig-Holstein dropped anchor in the channel off shore and on September 1, at exactly 04:45 local time fired its gun onto the army base located there.
2,600 German soldiers fought against the 205-strong garrison of stalwart Poles. The Polish garrison repulsed the Germans for seven days, before the depleted unit, suffering from exhaustion, severe injury and a shortage of food, water, ammunition and medical supplies, was forced to surrender on September 7th.

Anyway I was there and saw some of the actual buildings and bombed out barracks that are still standing there. I showed the class tons of pictures that I took when I was there.

My mom was taken from her home in eastern Poland at the age of 16 and was put on a train (a cattle car no less) and was sent to Aschaffenburg, Germany to work slave labor for the duration of the war. Her last images of her farm as the family was evacuated were the house and barn being torched. She worked in a cleanup crew. After the allies bombed the town, she would collect stack of bricks and would mix mortar and fix some of the damaged walls of buildings.

My dad, who came from Nowinka Poland was in the Polish Army and eventually worked in the underground and gave the Germans a tough time for a while. He was on horseback one time and was being chased by a motorcycle and sidecar with a mounted machine gun.
He remembered hearing the bullets whiz by his head as he hugged the horse. His saving grace was finding a freshly plowed field. The motorcycle got stuck and could no longer pursue him and he was able to get away. One time he was rounded up by the Germans who were going to retaliate by killing about twenty people because of the death of a German soldier. They lined all the people up in front of a ditch and with my dad being on the end fell back before he got hit. When he hit the ground he took off on all fours and headed for some nearby woods. He was able to hide in some bushes until they gave up looking for him. It’s a good thing there were no dogs or…..well you know.
Eventually he was rounded up and put on train and sent to Russelsheim, Germany where he was forced to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week in the Opel factory that was located there. He said what helped him survive those years was the fact that he befriended a German guard who would leave him some food every day in a secret location.

My folks both met in an internment camp were married in 1948, had my sister in 1949, and were both put on the USAT General R. L. Howze bound for Ellis Island. With the help of some cousins and friends of the family, they were able to make it here to Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I also talked about my visit to Auschwitz and Birkenau when I toured Poland and how I felt when I walked into the showers that were used to gas the people, and the ovens that were still left standing there. This is something I will NEVER forget.

Anyway I showed the class several of the original documents that my dad saved from their time in Germany. I have the original picture ID’s of both my parents, along with the marriage license, inoculation papers, baggage claim, and meal ticket from the cruise on the ship.

The history teachers is young enough to be my daughter and she was so impressed with my presentation that she wants me to come back and talk to two more classes before the end of the year. She asked me if I ever taught. I told her I have never done anything like this before.

I had enough material to talk for about an hour and a half. It was pretty cool!
Ok, I could go on, but I don’t want to completely bore you guys.

I just wanted to share this stuff with you guys since the stories are real and pretty interesting.
Thanks for reading!!!

Bill

PS
Here are a couple pictures of the ship my folks came over on.
gen_howze2-08.jpg
092213411.jpg
Thanks again!
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Re: I should have been a teacher!

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Wow!
Great Story Major!!

Reading your story kinda left me teary eyed. :(

PS. Maybe we should have a Forum section called History and Life's Experiences.
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

I'm with Corn, that was kind of a tear jerker. Wonderful story my friend.
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

Thx for sharing major, interesting story about your parents!
/rix
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

That's wonderful Major. I have a feeling your providing a deep and lasting lesson to these kids. WW2 and the Holocaust must always be remembered forever by each new generation. The more you can show them the horrors of war, especially the murders of million the better - so it sinks in.

Way to teach sir.

:thumbup:
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

Thankfully there are people like you who will give up their time to teach the next generation.
After reading the post I wish I would have been there to hear the whole story.
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Thanks for your kind words, guys.
I must have made an impact. I received a call from my niece, and he said by the end of the day the whole school was talking about my presentation. She also said the there were tons of questions from the other kids. I guess I will have to work on answering those for the next time. I stressed the fact that this was only one family's story. There are millions of others that were also affected. I figured this is why I have always had a passion for WW2 history.
Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted.
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

Maybe you can bring some books next time if they want to read and learn more.
/rix
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

I had purchased a hardcover book that was about three inches thick that chronologically depicts events related to the Holocaust. I gave that to the school as a gift and from what I hear the kids are fascinated by it. The history teacher told me she would like to use some of that info in her lesson plans.
Thanks Rix for the suggestion.
Last edited by [JiF]major confusion on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Rogers
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Thanks for sharing that Major.
We need to educate the younger generation to avoid any repeat!
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Maybe we should have the Major show up on TS in the evening and read us bedtime stories. :D
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Yeah, I'll tell the story about the big, bad wolf and how it all went "KAPUT!". :D
Will Rogers