Death by High Ping

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Death by High Ping

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

It's getting to the point where my ping is swinging so wildly -- from 25 to 360 - that I can't play BF42 any more. The game becomes sluggish and I end up shooting at shadows.

The same thing is happening on other BF42 servers, and on BC2 servers, so it's not the fault of the new JiF server.

This seems to have begun a few weeks ago, and I can't pin it on any change to my system.

I have already:

-- replaced my 8 year old modem
-- replaced my router
-- run various virus scans
-- defragged my HD
-- updated my video and sound card drivers

I'm not sure what is left to do.

Could it be a bad cable? I suppose I could change them all as well.

Anyone have a similar experience, and found a solution?
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Re: Death by High Ping

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

have you installed anything recently that might be taking your bandwidth with out you knowing. windows update could be downloading in the background. do you have anything else in your network at home that has internet access.
does your home router have any type of qos. you could try putting some rules. in for better qos.
Max
Forum User

Post by Max »

there is a test, called command prompt (something to that effect) it will tell you the ping on your system to theirs. i called my local cable provider and they did it over phone with me. also wireless routers are notorious for trouble. firewalls and communication thru the network. also if your computer is networked with others in the house then set yours up as admin so no one, can make changes except you. :thumbup:
[JiF]DaftGeordie
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DaftGeordie »

All those are things to look at Stinky, when my two sons lived at home soon as one of them started to download anything that was the end of any gaming for me.Or like one of the guys has said if windows is installing anything or any other program is running in the background your gonna lag.
I don't allow any windows update through.....I know I take a chance of viruses or other nasties but I take the chance.
Good Luck
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Stinky , start a command prompt and type in tracert 216.155.146.150 this will show you all the hops to get to our server you can also do a tracert 216.155.146.150 > myroute.txt to show results in a text file which you can then post in this forum
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I replaced the ethernet cable running from my router to my computer, and things are running much more smoothly -- ping staying steady in 30s/40s, ony one minor spike to 150. The old cable was Cat 5, the new one Cat 5e, but I'm not sure that makes much of a difference.

So I'll wait and see what happens. If the ping comes back, I suspect it's interference from something my wife is doing on her computer, which is connected wirelessly to the home network. But right now, it seems like it is not my ISP.

-- Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am --

Interesting. Playing yesterday during the day was great. But when I got on at night, the high ping was back, and my wife was not using her computer.

I'll bypass the router the next time it happens to see if it makes any difference.