to connect to L4D2 server

Topics related to Left for Dead 2.
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

to connect to L4D2 server

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

To connect to the L4D2 server directly, you should be able to select this from the main screen (if you are a member of the JiF Steam group). The only issue I have found in the past is that you can not create a lobby to go to your/our server unless you take a few steps. Here is what I used to do and as I understand still needs to be done...

1) At the main menu, pull down the console with the tilda (~) key.
2) Type "mm_force_dedicated_servers 8.2.120.195:27015" w/o quotes & press enter.
3) Create a lobby, and choose "Best Dedicated" as the server option.

This will work for any game type (versus, campaign, etc...)

when you create a lobby and it asks what type of server you would like, there is a "steam group" server option. I have never tried this though...

** note, in the past I have found the odd time this does not work. what happens is for some reason it can not connect to the server (server is busy, or in the process of resetting) and what will happen is that your personal computer will become the host for the game. You will know this has happened when you see everybody having extremely high ping rates**
Last edited by [JiF]phantomx on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: to connect to L4D2 server

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I just go to "play online with friends" and create a lobby. Then select steam group server as the server. I get our server every time. Now if there are people playin on the server this might not work.:). Wish I had seen you guys were playing earlier!
ImageImage
Max
Forum User

Re: to connect to L4D2 server

Post by Max »

holler at me, i just got lfd2. i was on once dunno what i was doing lol. we were survivors in a bleedout game. we were overcome. i just tried to shoot everything and revive people. i could hear people talking but didnt know how to talk back. only thing i heard was someone tell me to wait on reviving him. :thumbup: lets play!