Got the itch for a new system...

Speaks for itself
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Got the itch for a new system...

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Been itching for a new system for a while now, and finally scratched that itch. My old AMD Athlon II 3700 mhz with 2 gigs of ram and a 7600GT card is going to be upgraded...

CPU: Core i5 2500k
MB: Asus P8H67-M LE
Ram: 8 gb of DDR3 1333
HD: 64 gb Crucial Real SSD C300
PSU: Corsair 650HX modular
Case: Ultra MicroFly, blue with clear windows (Thanks JiF:Lonewolf for letting me review those cases and keeping them!)
GPU: Not sure yet, leaning towards the nVidia GTX560 Ti, but will run the integrated graphics for now.

This is a micro ATX build using Intel's second generation i5 chips. The MB isn't made for overclocking, but the CPU has integrated graphics built in, so I can hold off on a GPU for a bit. Doubt it'll run BC2, but should run BF42 quite well! Newegg had a great price on the SSD hard drive and 15% off all desktop memory. Plus our local microcenter is also selling the core i5 2500k about $40 cheaper than anywhere else, even online.

Will add some pictures once the build starts in a few days, now anxiously awaiting the parts to arrive!
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mentat
Forum User

Re: Got the itch for a new system...

Post by [JiF]Mentat »

You suck. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

for a minute I thought you were talking about another baby...

How're things with the little one anyway - Mine went swimming for first time yesterday and really liked it.

I upgraded recently and can now run BG42 - you should D/L it and we can all jump on this monday/tues - maybe have a reunion nite
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Hey Zouga - my little one is doing well, although not so little! We had our 4 month checkup a couple of days ago and he weighed in at 17.1 lbs and 27" long! That puts him in the 85-90th percentile. He does a lot of "talking", cooing and laughing.

Did you take little Fist into the pool or are you talking bathtub? We've been doing baths and he seems to like it for the most part, except for that one time he slipped and went under. It was only for a second but he was none too happy about it.

Oh, too keep things on topic...picked up the i5 2500K at Microcenter yesterday, now just waiting for DHL and UPS to show up with the rest of my parts.
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Your welcome on the cases. That's just one of the perks of the job.

Been out of commission for a while but getting ready to make some major changes so there might be some more reviews if your interested.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Always up for that Lonewolf, just let me know.

Well most all the parts arrived! CPU I bought locally, but MB, PSU and Win 7 64 is here. Now just waiting on the ram and SSD from NewEgg. :mrgreen:

-- Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:16 pm --

My system if finally up and running!!! It takes 23 seconds from cold start up to fully operational! The day the ram and SSD arrived from NewEgg I found out that Asus (and all MB manufacturers) was having a recall due to chipset problems on the MB. It took forever to get a new board in, but wow!

Now I stuck on the meat of the price/performance ratio and instead of splurging on the processor, opted for an solid state drive instead of a hard drive.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k ($180, Microcenter is still selling them for this price)
MB: Asus P8H67M-LE ($100)
GPU: On board, for now.
SSD: Crucial C300 64Gb ($100)
Ram: GSkill 8GB ($55)
PSU: Corsair HX650w, modular ($115)
DVD: Lite on ($15)
Case/Keyboard/Monitor old ones.

So for $665 this thing screams. I'm still deciding on a graphics card, but even the onboard system should play BF1942 without an issue! Will add a regular hdd for storage as 64 gigs is pretty limited.

Oh, Newegg is running a special on the SSD's, the C300 128Gb is going for $200, and they have Windows 7, for $89. My wife needs a new system, so my new/old SSD maybe reappropriated into her build...