Arma II AAR

[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Arma II AAR

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I had a lot of fun playing a mission on the Arma II JiF server last night with a bunch of JiFFers. I thought I’d write up a brief AAR so that others can understand why this game is different from BF42 and BC2, and why I like it.

By the time I joined the server, Doc, Phantom and some others had already completed some of the objectives. Several small vilages had been taken, and there were some side missions to take others or do some kind of special action.

You start off on the main American base, and from there you can customize your gun and gear. I took a SAW machine-gun and a radio for calling in artillery. I then activated the “flag-pole” interface that allowed me to teleport to any of our mobile command posts on the map. There was one in an already captured village that I and Phantom went to. We undeployed the mobile command base and drove it to a town to the north that had to be captured. After getting the mobile base close, we parked it behind a house and deployed it so others could teleport there, and caused it to “spawn” an ATV so we could scout out the town. With Phantom on the back, I sped into town and almost immediately came under tank fire. I veered off behind a building, losing Phantom in the process (not sure if he jumped or was killed). I scrambled up to the second floor balcony of the building, crouched, and scouted around. I saw about five enemy soldiers on the road to my right, and sprayed the area with my SAW. Unfortunately, the SAW is not a good weapon to fire from a crouching position. My shots bounced all over the place, and though I killed one of them, their return fire killed me.

So I respawned, this time taking a sniper rifle with an infrared scope that would give me a much more stable firing option. By the time I got to town, Doc and some others had teleported in and had cleared much of the village. The action shifted to a hill north of town, leading to an airbase. I sprinted to the hill, went prone, deployed my tripod, and soon picked off four enemies. With the hill cleared, we ran up to the fence surrounding the airbase. There was an M113 with a gun mounted on it, patrolling the fence line. I crawled through a hole in the fence, and hit the M113 with my rocket. Though it didn’t explode, the gun stopped firing. Doc went up to it and confirmed I had killed the crew, and knocked a tread loose. He entered the M113 and used the gun to knock out a truck-mounted gun parked on the runway. We then ran to the hangar to complete our objective: steal a fighter jet. But there was a T-34 parked at the hangar entrance, blocking the jet from leaving. The T-34 was evidently wrecked, as we could not enter it to move it away. Then Doc remembered that our mod included towing gear. So he managed to get the M113 up to the tank, attach a tow line, and tow it away. He was the only one brave enough to take the jet, which he flew to our main base, thus completing the objective and unlocking a special armored vehicle for our use. By that time, I had to leave. Doc, Phantom and others, feel free to add your own comments here.
Gnome-father
Forum User

Re: Arma II AAR

Post by Gnome-father »

Must...Have....ARMA II!!!!
That sounds too awesome! Im gonna pick it up on Steam when it is on sale!

/offtopicEdit/ Woohoo, I have finaly 2.000 Peanuts!! :viva:
Robbers beware!
[JiF]pop51
Forum User

Post by [JiF]pop51 »

This is a great game and it can only get better when more people try it , its ok alone but really requires three or more players to make it fun.So come on down the waters fine :wave:
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote:I had a lot of fun playing a mission on the Arma II JiF server last night with a bunch of JiFFers. I thought I’d write up a brief AAR so that others can understand why this game is different from BF42 and BC2, and why I like it. ....
Sounds like a lot of fun. Would be interesting to know how long time your described sequence took?
Curious since I seldom get a "big" timeslot for gaming by the very local government(dictator). :)
BF42/BG42 is kind of easy to pop in and out since it more of a small action-game.
/rix
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

That whole thing took about an hour.

One nice thing is that missions keep spawning, so you can jump in for an hour and still have things to do.

Note however that until you get the mobile bases positioned, it can take 5-8 minutes to drive one into position over hills and through villages. That is, unless Doc is on and delivers the base by chopper.
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

Picking this game up tomorrow, so I will be joining you guys soon. Games looks too good to pass up.
I'm working on solving the gas crisis.
[JiF]pop51
Forum User

Post by [JiF]pop51 »

just want to say how GREAT this game is you select from more guns than Don has at Dons Guns. drive any thing that you can think is in Uncle Sams army,go alone or take 6 or 10 people with you real time ,almost . Real situations ,a whole lot of fun . if you have the game come join us. :wave:
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Once I have my comp upgraded (all the parts are in the post) I will check this out, although I am concerned that it may not be powerful enough to handle it
(Dell Dimension 3100, Pentium 4HT (2.4GHz), 2Gb Ram, Geforce 8400GS 512Mb)

I'll check it out but I am limited to playtime these days and still want to jump on BG on Mon/Tues
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Definitely a great game, I'm totally addicted.

It's been even better seeing Pop and Judge on there all the time.
It's also gotten better since I learned to fly and lift the mobile HQ's.
Now Doc can actually play instead of ferrying everyone around ;)