Bad day

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Bad day

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Was a very bad night for me.... A very heavy object fell and hit me in the head and also did this to my IPad. Lil headache still..but I'm fine, just rather sad.... This 'was' a 64GB 3G IPad.
Attachments
IMG_0215[1].JPG
ImageImage
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Re: Bad day

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Wow....looks painful, not to metion expensive. Hope your alright my friend. Might need to get HARDHAT ZONE sign for room now LOL
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

dang that's very sad :-) such a beautiful object and now its broken, i have a tear in the croner of my eye. if u didnt need it anymore u could have sended it to me, there was no need to destroy it :-)
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Did you buy it with a credit card? Sometimes they offer replacement policies.

Sorry to hear about it.
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

That's....very sad.

Well, you should not buy a new one yet. Wait until the release of the IPad with Flash(If at all get it)!
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

It wasn't another tree was it? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1110
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

lol, thanks for the comments, they made me laugh....something that's been a bit tough to do the last 12 hours. :)

I've been scouring the internet and have found a few places I can send it in for repair. It won't be cheap, I'm thinking in the $500 range, but since this one costs $900 new it's probably worth it. It does still work to some degree. I can see it gets wifi and 3G signal on the part of the screen that isn't damaged. I can track it's location still, and it'll even sync with my pc. Just the touch screen and lcd are broken. However it was hit hard enough in the front to dent the metal plate in the back so I'm sure it needs a new battery and back plate. From what I've read just about everything can be replaced in these except the primary circuit board. Since everything but the screen seems to be working I'm praying it was not damaged!
ImageImage
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

If you are feeling adventurous...
http://youtu.be/qnjtvMCndcw

Parts look to be about $200 and there are a lot of video's out there giving step by step instructions.

http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchant.m ... ry_Code=RD
http://www.directfix.com/category/IPAD.html
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I'm pretty sure I will try to repair this one. Right now I'm kinda hoping insurance will simply pay to replace it. Then I can fix this myself or send it off and give it to my wife. For now I am not doing anything with it in case it needs to be inspected by an insurance adjuster or something. I wish I could find some way to turn it off, with a damaged battery I don't want it to damage anything else inside.

Cool website though, my wife's IPhone 3GS needs a new battery..might order one and replace it myself. I'll probably need the tools anyway!
ImageImage
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

One of my friends had an IPhone with a broken screen, and he replaced it with a new one from an insurance company for "free"(of course you need to buy an insurance and pay the insurance bills...). Do you have your IPad on the insurance?

Or do you even have any good insurance companies in America?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I just found out the insurance will cover the replacement, and there's only a $250 deductible!!! Probably go out tomorrow night and get a new one, then I'll try to repair this one for my wife. :)

Could end up being a good thing I guess....
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Insurance is attaching a lot of little stupid requirements onto the claim... might be a while before anything actually happens. :roll: Heading to the Apple store tonight or perhaps this weekend to see if it can be repaired through official channels. They also wanted to know if warranty would cover it. In my experience warranty doesn't really cover accidental destruction, that's what insurance is for....
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Really good news tonight!!

I went to the Apple Store tonight (an hour one way) and brought in my iPad, the looks on everyone faces was priceless lol! Anyway after some discussion they determined it could be repaired, and offered me a replacement for $419! I was surprised to say the least! I paused and thought about it a bit and the guy tells me to hold on, he wanted to go talk to the manager. When he comes back he offers to replace it for half the usual replacement cost! :shock: So for $209.50 I walked out with a re-manufactured (evidently that's different than refurbished to Apple) 64GB 3G iPad!!! Was worth the trip. I'm liking Apple more and more. Now I really want that Mac Book Pro! :)
ImageImage
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]Mike wrote:Was a very bad night for me.... A very heavy object fell and hit me in the head and also did this to my IPad. Lil headache still..but I'm fine, just rather sad.... This 'was' a 64GB 3G IPad.
Hmmmmm, first a "very heavy object" nearly hits your head then smashes your iPad. A sign from god? Next...
[JiF]Mike wrote:Really good news tonight!!

I went to the Apple Store tonight (an hour one way) and brought in my iPad, the looks on everyone faces was priceless lol! Anyway after some discussion they determined it could be repaired, and offered me a replacement for $419! I was surprised to say the least! I paused and thought about it a bit and the guy tells me to hold on, he wanted to go talk to the manager. When he comes back he offers to replace it for half the usual replacement cost! :shock: So for $209.50 I walked out with a re-manufactured (evidently that's different than refurbished to Apple) 64GB 3G iPad!!! Was worth the trip. I'm liking Apple more and more. Now I really want that Mac Book Pro! :)
...a salesman :twisted: temps you with an offer that you can't refuse. Replacing the smashed iPad with a "re-manufactured" model. Now you think you want a Mac Book Pro! Are you seeing a pattern here? Can you feel the pull? It is said that The Dark Side has many devices to lure people onto the Left Hand Path but who would have suspected the innocuous looking iPad. :shoot:

Already you are acting as its agent. Here in this holy forum - praising its damnable devices. Trying to lure others with its stable OS and cool looking hardware. You wish me to walk the dark path with you but I will resist. I, who suckled at the teet of the "blue-screen-of-death", who was weaned on "system has recovered from a serious error' message will never go over to the dark side. I am too strong for you. Dealing with virus after virus after virus after virus (and still I haven't seen Anna Kournikova nude) has made me invincible. My years of tracking down lost .Dll's, re-registering ocx files, installing countless video drivers that never seem to make it out of beta stage and the endless hours of studying of 'system requirements' for every piece of software I buy (only to find out that I had purchased the 'upgrade' and not the full package) has made me immune to your Mac Book Pro's sweet looking ultra light 17 inch screen and long battery life.

I say HA! to your battery - I have really long extensions cords with unlimited power! :thumbup:

$209 HA! my operating system alone cost three times that (plus $35 to have it installed by the hygienically challenged kid at Staples :viva: Only I bought the wrong version. I needed Professional but paid for Ultimate. My bad.).

So be gone. The Power of Windows compels you! The Power of Windows compels you! The Power of Windows compels you! :angel:

Re-boot! re-boot! :D

"Bill Gates is my shepherd, I shall not rest. He leadith me down the path to the keyboard,
He restoreith my hard drive. With my flash drive and I pod he comforts me.
Yeah though I walk through the the valley of megabytes, I fear no evil, for Bill is with me. . .
Surely Gates and Dell will follow me for the rest of my life and I’ll be forced to dwell in the House of the geeks forever.
Amen*"
*by RichieK at: http://www.itworld.com/business/62730/f ... freaks-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Smuckers
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Smuckers »

After reading Badgers Microsoft ramblings it has come to me that nothing fell on Mikes head or his I pad. His wife smashed it on his head for even thinking of using something other than windows. We never saw the pics of the heavy object, did we?..... :evil: JK Mike, in the end its great to have ended well. :)