A.C.E. Mod updates

[JiF]Doc
Forum User

A.C.E. Mod updates

Post by [JiF]Doc »

I would like to get some feedback/thoughts on how we should handle the ace updates for arma. We have a two options

1. Run the latest ACE version
If we run the latest ACE version we will always have the latest features, but we will have to update frequently. I just read on the ACE developer site that they do have schedueled updates. They update the mod every friday 18:00 GMT. If there is a major bug/problem they may update earlier during the week.

2. Run ACE stable version
If we use the latest stable version it will be some time before we have to update, but we will be missing out on the latest features until the new stable has been released.

I would like your thoughs on how we should handle these updates.

I plan to use a new updater program "Yomas Addon Sync" that will allow the players to update ACE to the JiF server version. This will eleminate any issues with ACE version mismatches. If we decide to run the latest version I will keep the server updated, and the players can use addon sync to get the new version off the JiF server rather then hunting down the correct version only to find out the servers running a different version. This program has a more user friendly interface as well.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Re: A.C.E. Mod updates

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Hey Doc , thanks for all the installation info, I have now installed everything and look forward to joining you all soon on the JiF server.
As regards the ACE version I would say let's go for the latest if that isn't too painful.

What time do you guys normally play on the JiF server and do I just put in a filter of JiF to find you?

Shell :)
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

Yes, if you put JiF in the search filter you should find it. Password is "1"

Mostly we play nights and weekends, we have a few that play during the day as well. If you have the game via steam feel free to add me, [JiF]PFC Doc, and the other players so you can see whos on.
Judge
Forum User

Post by Judge »

I would say latest stable version is probably the best bet. How often to they release a version and label it stable? The less updates the better probably, but would be nice to get new toys every now and then =)

And I do think Yoma's AddOn Sync is nice. Once you get it all plugged in, it's a quick couple button clicks to see if you're up to date, and one more click to get up to date if you're not.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Doc and I tired to get the AddOn Sync running via FTP on JiF Arma server. Jimbo tested it and it finally worked.
We are relying on our own bandwidth and Docs old PC as the server, so we are no sure if it will impact game play. Did not seem to bother Step or I while Jimbo was updating.
Please feel free to try it.
Enter ftp://JiF:@grimp.homeip.net/updater/yas2302.7z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; into the Addon Sync "Auto config URL" for the JiF server.
We were having some NAT FTP issues, so let us know if it works. If it does you should have the current files the JiF Arma server is running. Maybe Doc will write up a How To for Addon Sync and JiF.

-- Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:55 am --

NOTE: Clicking on the FTP link will only download the config. Updating only works using Addon Sync 2009. You need to install ACE mod first also.

-- Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:00 am --

Addon Sync Download.
http://dev-heaven.net/projects/yoma-addonsync2009/files" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Judge
Forum User

Post by Judge »

I was able to sync up with the JiF server this morning.

On a side note, I was able to vote myself admin, but the map switching wasn't working. I could see the mission list, browse to another mission, etc. but the map never switched, just reverted to Domination (where it was).
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Cool, I am sure there are a lot of things that need to be tweaked on the server still.
Somehow we broke supply drops too. Plane comes over, but nothing comes out :)
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

I will look into the server issues and find out whats going on. Has this started since the last arma 1.57 update? Or maybe an ACE issue? Ill check for newer map versions as well.

As for patches, I think a compromise between the two options may be the best. I could update the server every 2 weeks or once a month. This way we are running the newer versions but we do not have to update every week. I could start a server update thread to keep everyone posted on when the server version changes.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

I think the air drop problem may have started when we went to the new dedicated server. The plane comes over, but nothing ever seems to drop out :) I never actually switched any maps so I dunno about that.
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

Fixed the air drop problem!! Jimbo you can have your Artillery back, hopefully they wont blow them selves up still :) . Now I will work on setting up the map parameters (so you wont need to login as admin and adjust each time).