Keep getting CMOS error

Speaks for itself
Gnome-father
Forum User

Keep getting CMOS error

Post by Gnome-father »

I have succesfully overclocked my PC to 2.7GHz without any problems. But if an overclock fails and the PC wont boot you need to re-place the CMOS. I did and everything seemed to be fine

Until this day

Once i booted the pc makes 2 short beeps and then another beep. A black screen shows up saying something about a CMOS error and asks me to start a SETUP (BIOS) or load with default settings. This is getting really annoying since the settings is ressetted when this message appears and I need to run the BIOS in order to overclock. I have tried to re-place the CMOS but the PC wont boot if i do that. It just dies when i hit the start button. That means that the CMOS cant be re-placed and must stay on the same pins :sad:

Anyone have a solution?
but@fly
Forum User

Re: Keep getting CMOS error

Post by but@fly »

Gnome-father wrote:I have succesfully overclocked my PC to 2.7GHz without any problems. But if an overclock fails and the PC wont boot you need to re-place the CMOS. I did and everything seemed to be fine

Until this day

Once i booted the pc makes 2 short beeps and then another beep. A black screen shows up saying something about a CMOS error and asks me to start a SETUP (BIOS) or load with default settings. This is getting really annoying since the settings is ressetted when this message appears and I need to run the BIOS in order to overclock. I have tried to re-place the CMOS but the PC wont boot if i do that. It just dies when i hit the start button. That means that the CMOS cant be re-placed and must stay on the same pins :sad:

Anyone have a solution?

Hey Gnome,

did you check what the beep code means? Every company got their own codes ~ check their homepage for "2short, 1long" and you should have a clue what your BIOS is complaining about.

cheer

Fly
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

Yes, but there's 1 problem. My MSI motherboard looks pretty outdated. Its not even on the support page! :sad:

But thoose beeps are thoose which is made on every start up when you see the Motherboard Company(in my case, MSI Link to the future)which makes 1 beep before this shows up and 1 after it disapears. I hope you know what I'm talking about :)

Many thanks bro :D
but@fly
Forum User

Post by but@fly »

With one beep your BIOS confirms everything is in order. When it starts to play music ~ you are in trouble :D

Ok I found one thread that discusses the same problem you have - 2 beeps + 1 beep:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?fo ... icid=15338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and they say it is a videocard problem.

Here are a few more pages with general MSI beep codes that might help you when you start experimenting with hardware components:

http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86906.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

Thank you!
The MB he was talking about in that topic was a 600-series!
But i dont think its a videocard problem :(
But that was very intresting. I may post what the error message says later

-- Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm --

This is what it says:

Intel(R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU, 2.40GHz
Checking NVRAM..
1048576KB OK

DEL:SETUP F11:Boot Menu F12:Network boot TAB:Logo

Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting Pri Slave...Not detected
Auto-Detecting Sec Master..ATAPI CDROM
Auto-Detecting Sec Slave..Not Detected
Pri Master: VF100-33 SAMSUNG SP2514N
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Disabled
Sec Master: 1.06 _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A

CMOS Settings Wrong

Press F1 to Run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue
[JiF]lini
Forum User

Post by [JiF]lini »

Gnome: Erroneous BIOS settings reports sometimes also tend to turn up, when the battery is getting low. I.e., might be worth to invest in a new CR2032 cell and give it a try...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

It seems to be fixed now. I just discovered some unused pins!