Basic Setup Guide (For New Users)

[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Basic Setup Guide (For New Users)

Post by [JiF]Doc »

This guide is to help new users adjust to the game. There are some settings that can be adjusted to make the game play more like a traditional FPS. These adjustments are not required but can make it easier for a new user to adapt. I reccomend following these steps and adjusting the settings from there to fit your style.

1. Launch Arma 2

- Let steam perform the first time setup
- Once the main menu is up you may exit

2. Launch Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead

- Let steam perform the first time setup
- Once the main menu is up you may exit

3. Launch Arma 2 Combined Ops

- Right click on Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead and there will be an option to launch Combined Ops
(What is Combined Ops? : Combined Ops will use content from both games, Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead)

4. In the main menu go to Profile and create a profile

- The default profile uses your pc name

5. Go to the options menu then select Video Options

- Arma 2 has 2 different resolutions, Interface Resolution and 3D Resolution
- Choose any resolution you want but make sure the Interface and 3D resolutions match
- By defualt the 3D Res is lower causing the game to look blurry
- If you need help with game performance or the advanced video settings feel free to ask
- Click Ok when you are done

6. Now go to the Controls

- Click the left arrow near the X Axis slider 3 times ( This will make the horizontal and vertical mouse movement equal)
- Disable mouse smoothing by moving the slider all the way to the left

7. Now go to the Game settings

- Here you will want to turn the aiming dead zone off (Move the slider all the way to the left)
- Click the left arrow next to the Head Bob setting 2 times (The stock settings seem a bit to much, after adjustments the headbob is similar to BC2)

The game movment should now feel more familiar.
Personally I like the dead aim on a bit but you will have to try it for yourself.

I highly recommend playing the training missions. Run Combined Ops, Go to Singleplayer/Training. Play the missiosn that beggin with "E".

ex: E01 Basic Movment

I do not recommend changing the default key bindings. This will make it difficult for other players to help if you have questions about what button does what.