Ebay tips

Speaks for itself
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Ebay tips

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Hey,

I'm going to set up a paypal/ebay account to see if I can get some used/new parts for my old computer. Just wondering if there are any ebay veterans that can give me some tips on what to look for and best ways to bid...etc.

For reference here are some specs and what I am hoping to find for them:

Intel Celeron [R] 2.53 Ghz Prescott-256 (hoping for Pentium 4 3.8 HT, Socket 775, it's the fastest my board will handle) (if I do get a new processor I will prob. need some tips for installing it :? )
Foxconn 661 7MI
768 Ram DDR - 184 pin (board can't use DDR2 or DDR3) (hoping for 2 x 1 GB)
Power Man 350w (might need to upgrade depending on video card etc.)
ATI Radeon AGP 9250 128mb (hoping for 9800 or above ATI)
Audigy se (Don't know if I'll upgrade at this point, maybe Audigy 2 if found at good price)
CDRW/DVD (might look for CDRW/DVDRW)
Compaq cheap ol'mouse (prob. get a better one as they look pretty cheap on ebay)

So as you can see my computer is from the prehistoric age and I just want to give it a bit more life. So any tips or anything would be great.

Cheers
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Re: Ebay tips

Post by [JiF]Brick »

You'll find a lot of computer parts are set with a "buy it now" price that is usually pretty good.
I always found when bidding to set a price in your mind that is the most you will pay and wait until the absolute end of the auction (30 seconds to go).
If it hasn't reached your price then the throw bid out there and see what happens. Lots of times you will get it for way less than your max!

Look for sellers with many transactions and good feedback. Try to use ones that have a no DOA guarantee and a return policy.
You are taking a chance with no recourse if there is a problem with the hardware and they have an all sales final/no return policy.

The biggest improvement you will get in performance is adding RAM. You should be able to find some for your PC pretty cheap.
You should be able to find a DVDRW drive and mouse pretty cheap too.

Good Luck and happy bidding!
Once you get comfortable with it, try selling some stuff too!
Last edited by [JiF]Brick on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

I'd add that if something looks too good to be true then it probably is. If you pay through PayPal you get some extra protection. Don't be afraid to make a low, but reasonable offer on 'buy it now' items. I've seen some things sell for much lower than the 'buy it now' price. You can also check previous sales to see the going rate for stuff.

If you have a problem, contact the seller right away. Most of them are very interested in protecting their reputation and will make things right.

I've heard of two horror stories using ebay. A friend of mine accepted a cashiers check for an item. He waited for the bank to clear the money to his account and then sent the item. The check was counterfeit and two weeks later the bank took the money out of his account. Last I heard he was trying to get his money. This can be avoided by going through PayPal.

The other problem was a very good seller who went off the deep end. He sold a lot of stuff he didn't have all at once. He went from a very well respected seller to a thief overnight. I don't know the whole story, but from what I put together he was having financial difficulties and got involved in drugs and stolen property. We were very lucky as he owed us $400, but we got it back a couple of months before he went off the deep end.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

[JiF][AARP]Tissueman wrote:
The other problem was a very good seller who went off the deep end. He sold a lot of stuff he didn't have all at once. He went from a very well respected seller to a thief overnight. I don't know the whole story, but from what I put together he was having financial difficulties and got involved in drugs and stolen property. We were very lucky as he owed us $400, but we got it back a couple of months before he went off the deep end.

Tissue
I apologized Tissue, you don't have to keep bringing this up ;)

I have an encouraging story...
Back before I married my wife, I was looking for a simple wedding band to go with her engagement ring. Of course, after I started looking, it became less "simple" and I started looking at bands that had diamonds.
Long story short, I found a really nice platinum band with a row of 5 little diamonds. It was obviously some sort of estate auction so I bid a minimum and moved on without a second thought thinking I'd never get it...$200.
Long story short? I won it for exactly that... $200. I received it shortly afterwards and promptly took it to my jeweler friend who raved about it's vintage design/workmanship, the quality of the diamonds and appraised it at $3500. That was 7 (!) years ago, I wonder how it's appreciated now?
I waited until after we were married to tell my wife. It made her much less critical of my Ebay habits :roll:

Of course it's quite rare to get a deal like this on Ebay.
Always set a low initial bid. Always set a personal price cap based on what you are willing to pay and what the going price range for an item should be (always research!).
Always check the shipping, a lot of sellers up the shipping rate so that they can snare people with what seems to be a low price with the end result of padding their profit.
Check a sellers feedback.
You can tell a LOT about a seller based on how they respond to negative feedback (if they have any). When in doubt, don't bid.
These days, almost everyone that is intent on winning a particular auction will place their final, and more often than naught, winning bid in literally the last seconds of the auction.
A lot of them are using programs/services that do this for them too.
Being a purist, I've never used anything like that.
I feel that if you want something too much then you should not be bidding... you'll just end up spending more than you should have.
Chances are quite good that there will be another listing and another chance at the same sort of item, so be patient.