Arma II Operation Arrowhead

Judge
Forum User

Re: Arma II Operation Arrowhead

Post by Judge »

Ok, someone tell me in a paragraph what this game is about please. Is this a realistic military sim? Meaning, I can jump in say an A-10 or Apache and have a 5km range hellfire lock on and kill tanks or artillery has realisic range(of MILES) and burst radius for example?

Do you lead AI solders and are more of the role of a Lt. or section leader or what?

I hear you can build things, what?
This game aims to be the most realistic military simulation out there. It is primarily an infantry sim (i.e. that's what it models the most realistically), but it does include workable flight sims for helicopters, low level CAS aircraft, and vehicle sims (tanks, cars, etc.). To answer your questions specifically, if you get altitude you can hit a piece of armor from well beyond visual range (think my longest shot was around 4 km). The Apache's gunner position in ACE includes a pretty sweet mock up of the camera, and different modes. With a good pilot you can bring some serious pain to bear. The artillery that is included leaves a bit to be desired, but if you add the ACE mod suite there is a very realistic artillery tool set included. In the single player campaign you do end up leading AI soldiers. In the large dynamic missions available for coop multiplayer (Domination, Warfare, Takistan Force, etc.) you can lead AI soldiers, but it's not neccesary if you have a few people on the server. I spend most of my multiplay time working with other players, rather than leading AI. I've played on strict milsim servers (i.e. proper ogranization of assets, real mission briefs, adherance to radio doctrine, etc.) and I've played on total free for all run and gun servers. I lean towards the former for what I like, though there is certainly a balance to be struck (fun to just go shoot stuff on occasion :shoot: ). As far as building, there are modes in the campaign (Arma2 for sure, not sure about OA) where you can build barracks, vehicle and armor spawn points, etc. ala an RTS game. You can create and command those forces, etc. There are also some of the multiplayer missions that include the feature (Warfare centers around it). So depending on the mission/map you're playing there can be a significant amount of 'building' and the game itself has the ability to include a significant strategic layer.

ACE adds a LOT, including a layer of complexity, but once you're past the learning curve I think it's well worth it.

Feel free to ask any other specific questions. I could go on and on about the awesomeness of Arma =)
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

realistic Mil Sim here I come.
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

If you plan to purchase the game I recommend getting both. You can run the games together ( Combined Ops) and they will share content. So you will get more weapons, vehicles, and maps. On steam its only $45 for both or $40 each so it seems to make sense to buy both anyway.

Execellent description Judge :)

As far as our server goes... We usually play nights and weekends, im usually home in the early evening but am currently busy with other projects. I will try to check the spare parts I have and see what I can create for a more permanent server.

-- less than a minute ago --

Arma 2 Combines ops is on sale again! $30.14 on steam!!