WW 2Movies

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

WW 2Movies

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

hey ive been watching loads of ww2 movies since i was about 10 years old but i just discovered a great one its called "Saints and Soldiers" plz watch it

also plz tell us about good WW2 movies so i can go out and rent em.(its gonna be a tough one as saints and soldiers ws probably one of the last the movie rental place had that i didnt see yet, but go ahead name all the good mives u know so i can rent the ones i have missed)

ps: the place i go to rent em has a section dedicated of war movies(not only ww2 but also vietman irak what ever u can think of) so if u come up with any thing new i might have to buy em so come up with good movies, i dont want to spend money on shitty films
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
but@fly
Forum User

Re: WW 2Movies

Post by but@fly »

hey there,

what was it that impressed you so much about "Saints and Soldiers" ? I have been told over and over to watch it and when I finally did I was a little disappointed. Though, the story is great as well as the acting, special effects all the way down to the gritty battlefield feeling. What ruined the movie for me was the slow pacing of the scenes in combination with the lack of character development or my inability to identify myself with any of the characters.

Now I might watch it again ~ it could be that I was just in for an action popcorn flick back than which could have influenced my experience.
[JiF]FrenchAfroman wrote:also plz tell us about good WW2 movies so i can go out and rent em.
I have just been through a phase of watching a few 70th movies that are said to be "classics" but I somehow missed so far. And the one that was most memorable among the WW2 flicks was "Where Eagles Dare (1968)". Mostly because It felt like a WW2 shooter ~ I had several flashbacks to missions from Medal of Honour: AA...

More on the thoughtful side I would recommend "Max Manus (2008)" and "Black Book (2006)". Both excellent movies about resistance movements.

cheers

but{a}fly
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Try browsing through the internet movie database (imdb) the movies are rated and have reviews , here is a link to the war genre http://www.imdb.com/genre/war
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

I agree with Max Manus. Its the best norwegian movie i have seen!
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Some of my favorites in no particular order and mostly older, as in made before I was born, ones...

Kelly's Heroes
Patton
The Great Escape
Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Dozen
Tora Tora Tora
Stalag 17
Mister Roberts
The Fighting Sullivans (deals with WW2 and a family going into battle, based on a true story)
Victory (A football aka Soccer here in the US based movie with prisoners of war)
Since I'm diverging, I'll throw in the "The Final Countdown" , made in 1980, it has the USS Nimitz transported back in time to just prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

I'm sure there are lots off the list, but should be a good start.
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

The Band of Brothers series that HBO did is fantastic. I think it is about 10 disks. I bought it on sale, but I think reental places have it as well.

I watched a German movie called Stalingrad two weeks ago based on a number of positive recommendations, and was disappointed. It was too cliche.
but@fly
Forum User

Post by but@fly »

[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote:The Band of Brothers series that HBO did is fantastic.
Agreed... I bought it a while ago and watched the whole batch on a weekend ~ just couldn´t stop. The "sequel" The Pacific is less appealing though imo
[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote:I watched a German movie called Stalingrad two weeks ago based on a number of positive recommendations, and was disappointed. It was too cliche.
Enemy at the Gates is most likely the best Stalingrad movie made. There doesn´t have to be another. Hmm the only good thing about the German adaptation is that it comes with a second DVD full of historic film material in an insightful documentation ~ at least in the European version I bought.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Das Boot is a great atmospheric piece about life on a U-boat. You really connect with the characters & feel the tough life of working on a sub.
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

The longest Day
The thin red line
Midway
Battle of the Bulge
The Bridge at Remagen
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Dang Kelly you listed all my favorites,and Brick hit some i forgot about.
Anyone remeber Rat Patrol? :D
[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

[JiF]corn wrote:Anyone remeber Rat Patrol? :D
Yep, but "Combat" with Vic Morrow was better :]
{OTB} The Glimmerman
Repeat Visitor

Post by {OTB} The Glimmerman »

wow..Vic Morrow..thats a movie name from the past.
i remember the day he died...killed by a helicopter rotor blade, if i remember it right, that crashed while making a movie..cant remember which one...horror flick anyway...tales from the crypt, or night gallery, twilight zone.......?

i really liked "We Were Soldiers". (i know, not ww1or2)....not a mel gibson fan, but i read the book "we were soldiers once, and young", by Lt. Col. Hal Moore, and the embedded reporter, Joe Calloway...and the movie hit it pretty good. :shoot:

----The Enemy Below, and Run Silent, Run Deep were good as well.
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

How about "The Big Red One"?
Of course anything with Lee Marvin in it was good.
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
but@fly
Forum User

Post by but@fly »

did anyone watch "The last days of WWII" from the History Channel?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227916/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am considering getting the DVD as I was told it is worth watching... it is also on youtube ~ but the quality is horrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6j6BXC ... playnext=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Five graves to Cairo (with Erich von Stroheim as Erwin Rommel)