Out of touch people in public office?

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Out of touch people in public office?

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Hmmm not sure what planet this politician has been living on, but we have been assuming the roles of other nations combatting against British & US forces for quite some time now!
Maybe it's because we have been on historical battles before, but now this is a current situation where people are still fighting the war & dying.
I feel that this chap has not played this sort of game & misses the point of play. It is not about who you are assuming the role of, it's about the battle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11056581
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: Out of touch people in public office?

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Haven't we been playing "the other side"' in Battlefield 2 for years now? If people are upset by it, then they don't have to buy it.

I'm helping to playtest a new boardgame coming out in Octoebr called Labyrinth: The War on Terror. One side is the US, the other the "jihadists." It a great game that teaches you a lot about the struggle (e.g., the US player wins by raising the governance level in Muslim countries).

Here's a link: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-294-labyrinth.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I expect there will be a storm of controversy over the game when it comes out.

Just look at the ugly and absolutely idiotic debate going on in the US now about plans "by radical Islamists" to build a "mosque" "at Ground Zero" in Manhattan.

Never mind that the guy trying ot build it is a well-known moderate who has sent by the US government to talk to Islamic groups around the world, or that they are building a social center not a mosque, or that it is two blocks from Ground Zero not at it.

There are a lot of idiots out there.
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Ya a game is a game so that's pretty silly.

However, Stinky, come on man, you really think it's appropriate for any Muslim oriented building, Mosque or not to be put anywhere near there? Think about it some more. That's a sensitive area for us, especially New Yorkers and will be for some time. We are a free country and any group should be able to build their churches or whatever but this is a very special case. They can build elsewhere without being completely insensitive and opening old wounds don't you think?

Put it this way, do you think a similar idea of building over Pearl Harbour in the 50's and put in a Japanese cultural center instead of the rememberance that is there in battleship row would have been recieved well either?

Just some food for thought. I bet if it goes through, it will suffer the same fate as our buildings...I don't think New Yorkers will stand for it that close, its a slap in the face to them, it really is.
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

Pls guys, spare us politics/religous discussions. I'm sure everyone has an opinion about this but I'll guess it's best we keep it for other forums. :?
/rix
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Ahem! Thanks Rix. :D

Let's keep the topic on Gaming & content.